iOS 7 update: Join the discussion

As the new Apple update was released, talk on campus centered on the changes to the new iOS 7, launched Sept. 18.

For those that don’t know, “iOS is the foundation of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. It comes with a collection of apps that let you do the everyday things, and even the not-so-everyday things, in ways that are intuitive, simple, and fun,” as stated on the Apple website.

The seventh update to the operating system promised to make the experience simpler, more useful design. The update even added new features like the Control Center, AirDrop and new multitasking features.

Some students express their excitement at the changes and improvements, but others might have a hard time relearning shortcuts around their Apple iPhones.

The Feather wants to encourage students to submit their opinions about how the iOS 7 meets their standards and expectations.

Control Center is the best
Jarrod Markarian, ’17
Sept. 19, 2013

The Control Center and the new camera is my favorite. It’s more accessible. It doesn’t take a lot of apps; it’s all there in the Control Center. It’s a lot easier cause Apple is amazing and they can make things way easier. I updated about as soon as it came out, at 10:28 a.m., Sept. 18. I enjoy the Control Center and the passcode cause it has my flashlight, camera, calculator, brightness, sound and basically everything that you need.

Configuring settings
Noah Belmont, ’14
Sept. 19, 2013

I like how its better. It’s just faster at everything, and now you can swipe up from the bottom and configure your settings. I like the Control Center and how you can change your settings faster than going through the app.

At the swipe of a finger
Dustin Swain, ’14
Sept. 19, 2013

I like all the new different features, like how everything runs a lot faster and apps download a lot faster and how you don’t have to get the flashlight app. It’s just there in the Control Center. You can just adjust everything on the swipe of your finger and you can change all your stuff.

Some of the features i like about iOS 7 is the fact that when someone screenshots my phone message, I’ll know who took a picture of it, so I like that privacy. I also like how on the camera, you can make an Instagram photo easier by using the square feature and the new graphics and how it makes it look cooler.

Photo filters
Claire Kollenkark, ’16
Sept. 19, 2013

I like the camera edits cause i like having different options when taking pictures. It’s easier; it’s a lot more organized. When I saw that other people got the new update, I was very interested in getting it. It’s cool, except for the apps, they look kinda weird. But I like it for the most part. I like it because of the changing format and i think that is really cool.

Instagram worthy
Callista Fries, ’15
Sept. 19, 2013

My favorite thing about iOS 7 is basically the fact that you can take pictures in square form instead of long, rectangular form, so I can post pictures on Instagram easily. It fits better on Instagram. You don’t have to cut half the picture out. I didn’t have enough space on my phone to update it, so I had to delete a bunch of stuff like apps and music, but when I got the new update, I got it all back.

I don’t like it {update} actually. I don’t like it because of the major change, and it’s almost like the Samsung. Its kinda not like the iPhone anymore and Apple had a very distinctive difference between Samsung, but now they’re like basically the same.

Looks like Android
Kim Ward, ’15
Sept. 19, 2013

I really like the new look of it. I mean it’s cool cause it’s really three-dimensional look and it’s very cool; it feels like I got a new phone. I like it because there’s a lot of new designs so there’s like more to explore and also more features on my phone. The down-side about it is I had to delete all my stuff to get it {iOS 7} and I had to wait for like two hours for it to finish. I just wish that they still had their old icons. Its not like iPhone anymore, its more like Android.

Music presentations
Kiaya Hargis, ’16
Sept. 19, 2013

I like how you can see, when you turn your phone, the music album instead of going past every album and you get to see them all at one point.

The camera feature is a lot cooler, too. If you press the center button once, you get to see all the apps you were just at and its a lot more organized. It’s basically easier to use, and it was a lot cooler than the previous update.

Easy-access flashlight
Sam Beyelia, ’17
Sept. 19, 2013

I like being able to use the flashlight really fast because I always use it instead of getting an app to use it. I like it because Control Center is so amazing; it has so many cool features in it and it’s really fast. It’s definitely more easy. The Control Center makes my phone easier to use cause you don’t have to go through the app to change settings. I updated it when I got to my house cause I got stronger wifi.

Quick access
Dawson Triplitt, ’17
Sept. 19, 2013

The Control Center {is my favorite} because you don’t have to go to settings and change the sound and brightness and the others. It’s better because now you can access your things quickly. It’s Apple, and they make really cool stuff. I tried to update it at school, but then it crashed and i had to do it at home.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the Sept. 18 article, Drama gains new students, opportunities.