FC Cycling Club offers physical, spiritual growth (PODCAST)

Most people learn how to ride a bike at a young age, and some develop a passion for riding. That passion is one that can be expressed on the roads of our city. It is also one that has many benefits, mainly physical.

At FC many students and faculty share the passion for biking, this is a passion that can be shared and allows individuals to connect with each other. This has prompted Science and Chinese teacher Dan Harris and Rees Roggenstein, ’16, to begin the FC Cycling Club. Along with the shared physical benefits the members will also be able to grow spiritually.

The club will include bike rides to and from school and group rides around the greater Fresno area. Riding is what has brought the participants together but they will not limit themselves to only that, community service will also be a large part of the clubs focus.

Providing food to the hungry will be a key aspect in their service. The club plans to partner with local churches and the Poverello House to extend their ministry to areas of need.

The club will include devotional time before, after and during the rides. There is a plethora of different terrains that suffice for mountain biking, road biking and trail biking.

The club will focus mainly on road biking due to its more simplistic requirements. Riding can be different for everyone, some enjoy the exhilaration of mountain biking and some enjoy the slow pace of trail riding.

Justin Houts, ’16, prefers the adrenaline rush of mountain biking. His biking experience has grown over the years as he has grown and become more adept at controlling his bike.

“I prefer off-road biking,” Houts said. “I enjoy the exhilaration of riding on the edge of a cliff. As I have grown and become more physically developed so off-roading has become much more enjoyable.”

The diversity of the riders will be a key part of the club. Each member has his or her own favorite type of riding.

Some enjoy the more peaceful and social discipline of road biking. Andrew Moore, ’16, who plans to join the club has ridden for many years but has not expanded his style of riding.

“Im going to join the club so I can learn more about other styles of riding,” Moore said. “I want to form bonds with others that share my same passion for road biking.”

(PODCAST) FC Cycling Club begins season: Oct. 11, 2013–

The FC Cycling Club will enable the student community here to connect on a different level than school does. The time spent on rides together will develop the members as people as well as riders, and members will form bonds through their passion of riding.

For more features, read the Oct. 7 Junior cyclist aspires to go pro.