Cross Country sport shorts: Golden Eagle Invitational

The Eagles’ cross country team competed in the Golden Eagle Invitational on the 5-kilometer (3.1 mile) course at Woodward Park, Sept. 27.

Senior captain Tyler Laird was once again the first Eagle to cross the line, at 18:04. Senior Daniel Moore was next at 20:10, followed by junior Aaron Dewolf at 20:45. Sophomore Michael Fu ran a 24:32 in his first race with the team.

Dewolf reflected on the team’s advancement since the beginning of the season.

“The meet on Friday went very well,” Dewolf said. “I was proud of my results; I improved by more than a minute and a half. Every member of the team improved on their time. After one month of practice, our improvement has been quite substantial.”

Running varsity in his first meet with the team, Fu noted that while he initially had some nerves, he is happy with his performance.

“At first it was tough, and I was nervous,” Fu said. “After a while, I settled down and just kept running. I think I did well for my first race. I am a much better runner than when I started, and I want to keep getting better.”

Coach Ross Laird was very optimistic about the improvement in the team’s times.

“It was a great race to show the progress we are making, since every single runner ran a PR {personal record} for Woodward Park,” Laird said. “Woodward Park is our benchmark race, since we run there more than anywhere else. Everyone ran well. Excellent race, all around.”

The Eagles will next compete in the Madera Invitational at Eastman Lake, Oct. 4.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @m00re_is_better. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the Sept. 27 article, Get to Know: three-sport athlete, Gaby Siqueiros.