Economics entrepreneurs create supply, demand market on campus

On campus entrepreneurs finished up last minute preparations and sold their merchandise on April 2. Seniors’ products ranged from baked goods to flip-flops, greeting cards to specialized CDs, all of which were showcased during a lunch-time selling frenzy.

“This year’s group of seniors has several creative ideas,” Robert Foshee, economics teacher, said. “On Wednesday, we’ll really saw which products were failures and which were successes, at least in the opinion of other students and teachers.”

In inventing their products, Foshee encouraged his students to think of their hobbies and choose something they would like working on. Joseph Pettit, ’03, was an army advocate and decided to sell bullet key chains in support for our troops oversees.

“My partner and I thought that since we can’t be with our troops, at least we can support and remember them,” Pettit said. “With our key chain you can show your support and patriotism.”

A few groups, however, made a product everyone could enjoy. Baked goods included cupcakes, a three-in-one cookie, an ice cream cookie and several more specialized desserts.

“Our product is an ice cream sandwich with chocolate cookies and caramel,” Jenn Smitt, ’03, said. “The hard part was that we didn’t know what to expect as far as the taste; there was a lot of chocolate, caramel and ice cream.”

Smitt and her partner, Laura Wiens, ’03, said they expected their product to be a best seller as it was in the lower end of the price range. Products ranged from baked goods selling at $0.25 to $8 for a tabletop football game.

“I’ve gave my students a written assignment to look over their products’ success or failure,” Foshee said. “They needed to think about why or why not their products sold, and what they could have improved.”

Jake Sharpe and Brian Casey grossed the most ($77) with their sales of homemade salsa.

“If we would have known how popular our salsa would be, we would have brought at least 10 more containers,” Sharpe said. “Its all about supply and demand.”

For more information about the economics projects or to purchase, contact Foshee at 297-9464, ext. 143.