Staff celebrates National Journalism Week

National Scholastic Journalism Week, Oct. 7-11, is a time to celebrate journalism at all levels. From high school to college, journalists of all ages are celebrating this week, including The Feather staff. Journalism associations such as Journalism Education Association (JEA) and National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) are also in support of this week.

With social networking expanding, this week has become nationally known. The Feather has decided to contribute to the week by making their own hashtag: #journoweek.

The Feather staff plans on using this hashtag to express how journalism has affected and helped them. Keep updated with hashtag to see why journalism is so important and learn interesting facts.

In celebration of the week, The Feather’s journalism advisor, Greg Stobbe believes it is important to make journalism known.

“The idea of National Journalism Week is not just for colleges students, but for the whole journalism community,” Stobbe said. “i think it’s really important that students celebrate National Journalism Week because I want you guys to feel like you’re celebrating being empowered. Journalism students are taking not only the written word but the media part, interviews?a whole package worth of stuff?becoming not only employable but marketable.”

Stobbe encourages all students to take a year of journalism, believing they will learn life skills throughout the class.

“Skills that students learn in here {journalism} will help them in the real world,” Stobbe said. “In here, the class learns together, promoting each other and acting like professionals. The staff can feel good about what they’re doing; it builds chemistry and team work.”

In support of National Journalism Week, use the hashtag #journoweek on Twitter to tell us why journalism skills are important.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @han_avila. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the Oct. 4 article, Varsity squad organizes annual Cheer Clinic, Oct. 7-10.