BRIEF: Civics classes to attend field trip, Court House

Students enrolled in Robert Foshee’s civics classes will travel to the Fresno County Courthouse in downtown Fresno, Oct. 9. Students will depart at 8:30 a.m., after being released from first period, and return at 12:35 p.m. The field trip aims to teach the class about the process of a trial and the judicial system.

The civics classes have been traveling to the Courthouse for the past 11 years. Foshee planned this trip because he wants to give students a perspective about how a trial works in real life instead of reading from a textbook.

“They {the students} will meet with a judge, see a presentation from Fresno County Sheriffs and sit in on court cases,” Foshee said. “They {students} can expect to learn about court system, jury duty and how prisoners are transported.”

Elise Winegarden, ’15, is very interested in attending the field trip. She looks forward to hearing more about what she has learned in her civics class.

“I am very excited about this trip because I think it’s going to be cool to go see an actual case being presented before us,” Winegarden said. “Since we’ve been learning about trials and voting in our class right now, I think the field trip will be a lot of fun.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @mattgarza2017. Also follow The Feather on Twitter @thefeather.

For more news, read the Oct. 4 article, Varsity squad organizes annual Cheer Clinic, Oct. 7-10.