Varsity cheer holds clinic, teaches basic skills (PODCAST)

For the last few years high school varsity cheer leaders along with the junior high cheer leaders have run a clinic specifically intended to educate elementary cheer leaders about the basics of the sport.
[/media-credit] For the last few years high school varsity cheer leaders along with the junior high cheer leaders have run a clinic specifically intended to educate elementary cheer leaders about the basics of the sport.

High School Cheerleaders teach elementary students the basics

The annual cheer clinic has come around once again. For the last few years high school varsity cheer leaders along with the junior high cheer leaders have run a clinic specifically intended to educate elementary cheer leaders about the basics of the sport.

The event also doubles as an opportunity to establish intimate friendships and build self confidence. This year the clinic took place 3:30-4:30 p.m. at the North Field and at the FC Gym, Oct. 7-10.

Second year coach of the varsity cheer squad Courtney Raymundo says that the purpose of the event is to introduce the basic skills of cheer to the younger kids and encourage them to participate in the future. She also says the clinic will serve as a uniting force between the high school and elementary teams as well as helping those who are both new to the sport and those who are experienced veterans.

“We put together this event to introduce the little girls to the fundamentals of cheer,” Raymundo said. “Basically we want to teach them arm motions, dances, and other basic cheer motions. I think they get friendships out of this most importantly. It?s a wonderful time for them to bond together with all of the grade levels. It?s also a learning experience and it may introduce some of them to a sport they have never done before. Hopefully it will be something they will take interest in and want to continue.”

After the girls led some basic warm ups and stretches they broke up into stations, each of which was led by a group of varsity cheerleaders. These stations dealt with various types of cheer skills such as stunts, dances and animated chants.

The elementary cheer participants were offered helpful advice, one on one attention and the motivation necessary to further develop and hone in their skills. Besides this they had the opportunity to make new friends within their grade levels and tear down the barriers between age groups.

Elementary participant Megan LeBlanc was excited to learn from the older kids. She has learned to always have fun despite the difficulties of cheer through this program.
&%picture2placement%&
“My favorite part of cheer clinic so far is just hanging out with all of the little kids and hanging out with all the junior high and high school kids,” Leblanc said. “It?s all really fun. So far I have learned you just need to have fun. Even if you don?t like it you just need to have fun doing it.”

Even the stormy weather did not ruin theses girl?s positive attitudes. The weather did not permit outdoor practice, however practice commenced inside the FC Gym, Oct. 9. Despite the change of scenery the practice followed as usual with high energy and lots of enthusiasm from both leaders and learners.

Although the clinic?s unorganized structure and pleasant atmosphere is designed to promote fun for all participants, the girls also have a more serious agenda. At the home football game against Maricopa all participants in the cheer program from elementary to high school will lead the crowd in an collective effort to support the Eagles, Oct. 11. The elementary girls will wear their stylish new matching T-shirts and will perform side by side with the high school and junior high teams for the first half of the game. This event will serve as the grand finale to the cheer clinic and allow the participants to demonstrate their new found skills.

Callista Fries , ’15, varsity cheer leader and participant in the clinic since third grade says that she enjoys watching individuals develop their skills throughout the event. She says that it is interesting to see the amount of skill and personal growth in multiple clinic participants over the years.

(PODCAST) Cheer clinic hosts elementary hopefuls: Oct. 12, 2013–

“I have done cheer clinic since I was in the third grade,” Fries said. “I enjoy getting to meet the little girls because as they grow older we do a lot involving them. It?s really nice to know them when they start out and then to see how our relationships progressed.”

For more information on cheer clinic and the upcoming game against mariposa check out, The Cheerful Leaders Picture and the Pre-Cheer Clinic article.

For more features, read the Oct. 10 article, Civics classes learn reality of courts on field trip.

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronlilne. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee and via Email: [email protected]