Volleyball sport shorts: Caruthers

GIRLS’ VOLLEYBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013
For a preview to the Eagles volleyball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2013, for dates, times and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season on Max Preps. FC is currently 7-8 overall and 0-1 in the West Sequoia League as of Oct. 9. FC’s next game will be on Oct. 10, as the Eagles play the Fowler Redcats.

GIRLS VOLLEYBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2013
EAGLES LOSE TO BLUE RAIDERS, OCT. 8

The FC Eagles played on their home court against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Oct. 8.

In set one, the Eagles came out hard with a 5-0 lead. However, the Blue Raiders came back, eventually making the score 18-21. With Caruthers leading 20-24, junior Gabriela Siqueiros hit a spike that was called out, ending the set 20-25.

In set two, the Eagles came out strong with a 2-0 lead. however, the tides soon changed and Caruthers took a huge lead, making the score 3-9.

Later in the match, freshman Hannah Nale won a “Net Battle” (when two players from opposing teams are both trying to push the ball over the net simultaneously) giving the Eagles the lead once again as the score changed to 17-16. The two teams remained close throughout the rest of the game and the Blue Raiders called a time out after a combined hit by Hannah Nale and Olivia Quebe, ’16. The score continued past the regulatory twenty five points, but the Blue Raiders edged out the Eagles 26-28.

In the third set the team come out swinging hard yet again, junior Ashley Garcia served an ace making the score 6-3. But the Blue Raiders followed the suit of the first two sets, coming back to end the game 19-25.

Nale had mixed emotions about the game and how the Eagles played.

“I think we played really hard, but I guess we just didn?t play hard enough, and next time we?ll just have to pump it.” Nale said. When asked about winning two net battles, Nale responded with a smile and the words, “Yeah, that was pretty sick.”