COLUMN: Journalism offers media advancements, skills

JournoWeek1
[/media-credit] Campus students are learning and applying multimedia tools for projects that journalists across the country use on a regular basis.
A common misconception about journalism, is its writing focus. While important, journalism is far more than writing including an extensive pool of skills and expertise in media.

The tools that journalism offers can be used in everyday life, not just in publications. Technical aspects such as videos and podcasts are becoming increasingly parts of core and elective classes.

Just recently students enrolled in civics classes were required to make a video for a voting project. Some students were able to film the video but when it came to actually editing the different scenes, they were at a loss. However, numerous students were able to complete the project more easily because of the editing skills they had learned in their journalism periods.

The Feather has also had alumni come back and be appreciative of the capabilities they were taught because they had a need for them in college. An alumnus recently visited campus sharing how he was required to create a podcast for his first Spanish homework assignment.

Besides technical tools, publications can also offer communication skills, which help in day-to-day situations as well as future career options. Students learn interviewing abilities which can assist them on how to appropriately communicate with others, especially in job interviews.

One obvious area where journalism strengthens students abilities is writing. The more and more students write articles, the better they become at writing. Not only is this a positive attribute in publications but it also carries over to different classes, specifically in English, history and other social science classes.

Technology continues to develop rapidly, making it a difficult to keep up with the advancements. The Feather has tried to keep up with the innumerable progressions the media world continues to further. — Viviana Hinojosa

All the previous expertise mentioned can all come together as one package to help as well. Whenever students have to give presentations in class, all the capabilities join as one because students are typically asked to give some sort of visual representation with descriptions along with their verbal presentation. This is where all the technical tools, writing skills and communication techniques come into play.

However, the mastery of these talents do not come over night. It takes time and dedication to perfect the artistry of the media experience. The Feather has undergone struggle after struggle to perform each of these tasks successfully and accurately.

Technology continues to develop rapidly, making it a difficult to keep up with the advancements. The Feather has tried to keep up with the innumerable progressions the media world continues to further.

The key is to try. Try to keep up with the growth in media, which can ultimately help in your future. Journalism is a way of staying on point in all aspects of education.

For more opinions, read the Oct. 9 article, Junior counsels girls at annual trip, shares experience .