CSF serves Cinco de Mayo lunch

The festivities of Cinco de Mayo are to celebrate independence. The Mexican culture has celebrated the holiday since they gained their independence from France in 1862. In homage to the holiday, the California Scholarship Federation [CSF] hosted the annual Cinco de Mayo lunch.

The mouth-watering aroma of homemade enchiladas and nachos filled the air and lure students to the Ground Zero lunch area on May 5 instead of John’s lunch truck.

The annual lunch is now in its 7th year. For the price of $4, students were served a cheese enchilada, nachos, and a Mexican pastry. They washed the food down with ice-cold lemonade.

“This lunch is the only fund raiser CSF sponsors during the year,” Molly Sargent, club adviser, said. “The proceeds go toward the CSF senior scholarship, which is awarded to a deserving CSF life member who has enhanced school life during their years here.” We had lots of students support the lunch; it was for a good cause and the food was delectable!”

High school students are not the only ones who will enjoy the fruits of CSF’s labor; the elementary and jr. high lunch periods were served as well.

“It is a good opportunity to serve the school,” Ryan Cain, ’03, said. “The sales are also for a good cause, as one deserving CSF student will benefit from the scholarship.”

Seniors who made the Cinco de Mayo lunch were Leah Brouwer, Jon Howard, Cain, Carolyn Simpson, Beth Yanez and Lacy Hearnsberger.

“CSF is a great club to be in because it makes you keep up the good grades,” Simpson said. “If you are in CSF for four semesters you graduate with gold tassels and become a life member; that is what I am looking forward to. It is a great motivator.”

For more information on FCA, contact Sargent in room 621 or call 297-1380.” “Madeline Ervin, Photographer” “Few know the behind the scenes teamwork it took to put on a lunch that feed 200 students. Here CSF members Beth Yanez, ’03, from left to right, Carolyn Simpson, ?03, adviser Molly Sargent, prepare the enchilladas in the gym kitchen before the Mexican Fiesta lunch served on May 5 to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.” “” “” “