Frank Abagnale, Jr., speaks to Fresno's Town Hall (VIDEO)

Cashing $2.5 million in fraudulent checks in every state and 26 foreign countries only scratches the surface of the crimes committed by Frank William Abagnale, Jr. Along with stealing millions, he also posed as a professional in many different fields, including a pilot, lawyer and pediatrician.

Typically a criminal like Abagnale would spend countless years in prison; however, after spending time in French, Swedish and, only five years in US prison, he was released to help and work with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to catch criminals such as himself. He has been working with the FBI for over 35 years, assisting in white collar crimes.

Not only does he assist the FBI, but Abagnale also speaks in numerous countries on how to prevent identity theft and fraud. As part of the San Joaquin Valley Town Hall’s event series, Abagnale was asked to lecture on identity theft at the Tower Theater which was geared more towards an adult audience, Oct. 15.

He was also invited to speak at the Saroyan Theater about his life to an audience of all ages, Oct. 16. On this day Abagnale held a special press conference with students from various high schools, where they were able to spend time with him.

To tell his own story, the way he wanted it to be heard, Abagnale wrote an autobiographical book titled, Catch Me If You Can (1980). After holding the rights for over 20 years, Director Steven Spielberg finally decided to turn the novel into a major motion picture with the same title. The reason for Spielberg waiting so long to produce the DreamWorks movie (2002) was because he wanted to be sure not to immortalize Abagnale for the crimes he committed but for the aid he brought to America. A Broadway musical of the same title was also created and in April 2011 opened on Broadway. It has since been nominated for four Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

Although the events in the movie, do stay fairly close to the real events in his life, Abagnale does clear up one scene.

“By the time I reached 16 my parents decided to get a divorce,” Abagnale said. “My mother saw me again and when I was finally caught she visited me in jail. But, when I ran away from that court room, my father never saw or spoke to me again.”

Having been told all his life that he looked old for his age, Abagnale decided to use this trait to his advantage. A few minor changes here and there to his identification were all that were needed for him to officially become older.

“I always had a little gray hair,” Abagnale said. “I always looked older. I looked like I was in my mid 30s and I knew no one would higher a sixteen year old. So, I had to turn 26 and alter my drivers license and start acting older.”

Not only did he use his appearance to his advantage, he realized that by putting himself in a uniform he would gain more credibility, and not just any uniform. One day, walking out of a bank after being turned away from cashing in a check, Abagnale noticed a pilot with numerous flight attendants walking out of a hotel, noticing how much regard they were getting. It was then Abagnale decided to become a pilot.

Realizing he could easily be caught if he was asked a question about being a pilot, he made sure to study pilot lingo. He memorized the common term used among the airlines. Also, in order to stay clear of being detected, Abagnale never rode on Pan Am flights, the airline he claimed to work for.

“I never flew on Pan Am flights,” Abagnale said. “I never wanted to risk getting caught because I thought if I rode on Pan Am flights someone might tell me they haven’t seen me before, and I did not want to take any chances. Also, whenever someone asked me what equipment [aircraft] I flew, I always said one they did not fly, so I wouldn’t have to answer any questions about the plane.”

In fact, Abagnale never flew any planes at all. He only sat in the jump seat and talked shop as he flew all around the world.

Abagnale continues to make good on his life’s goal to give back to his communities by speaking about his journey from con man to crime stopper. He says he will continue to do so for the rest of his life.

In the Oct. 15 evening presentation, he spent time offering attendees tips and information on how to avoid identity theft and fraud. He suggested ideas like using only a micro-cut shredder to fully destroy documents, Black Uni-Ball 207 Gel pen for signing any official documents including checks and to erase the hard drive on all copiers before selling or getting rid of it. He also said to never add a full frontal photo on Facebook. He also advised not to include the city of birth or date of birth to a Facebook page.

The use a debit card also should be avoided because these are among the easiest ways for a thief to steal an identity. Furthermore, he recommended using the company Privacy Guard for individuals to protect their credit and identity.

As Abagnale reflects on the events of his life, he highly doubts he would have committed the crimes he did, if he were but a little older. Knowing he would have rationalized his actions if he were older than 16, Abagnale revels in concept of his lack of fear at that age.

“I was 16 so I had no fear of being caught,” Abagnale said. “If I was older I would have rationalized more. My lack of fear and consequences drove me to continue in the lifestyle I had.”

Despite being offered pardons by three presidents, he takes his role of reformer and crime stopper seriously.

Although he only had to serve seven years with the FBI, which would finish the remainder of his 12 year sentence in prison, Abagnale said he is willing to spend the rest of his life providing service and restitution through his role in advising the government and individuals on how to protect their identity.

“I owe my country 800 times more than I could ever repay it,” Abagnale said. “I don’t believe nor will I ever believe that a piece of paper will ever excuse my actions; only my actions will.”

Pulitzer Prize winning author and New York Times columnist Timothy Egan will be the next San Joaquin Valley Town Hall speaker, Nov. 20. Fresno’s Town Hall series debuted in 1938 and have hosted over 500 speakers. Call 559.444.2180 for more information or follow them on Twitter: @SJVTownHall; tickets are $20 for individual seats and students are admitted free with an educator.

For more Feather features, read the Oct. 18, Juniors seek redemption from past years. While The Feather will not be able to review the second San Joaquin Valley Town Hall guest (Timothy Egan) this year, staff will interview the Jan. 13, 2014, speaker Michael Sandel.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @viv_hinojosa. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.