Nutrition vs flavor: Healthy foods not always choice option

As the clock ticks down to the last minute before lunch, students lick their lips from anticipation and prepare to sprint to the lunch tables, or John’s lunch truck.

But this can be deceiving, because although sack lunches and John’s truck offer nutritious treats, some students choose to eat unhealthy alternatives.

“My best selling product is the cheese and chicken quesadilla,” John Skaf, lunch truck owner, said. “I add an alternative to those who want to eat healthy; the chicken quesadilla has white meat and cheese for added calcium.”

Some students eat healthy foods to increase their physical appearance, or slim down to a more desired size.

“For lunch I have a chicken and cheese quesadilla and a Gatorade,” Derek George, ’06, said. “If I am watching my figure, I will eat a poppy seed muffin; and if I am going all out, I go for a sugar muffin.”

Others eat healthy foods to provide energy for sports practice or a game. They stay away from grease and compensate with protein.

“I usually bring my lunch to school,” Micaelah Aleman, ’08 [basketball player], said. “I eat a sandwich, chips and drink an ice tea, I never drink soda on a game day. I eat these kinds of foods to get the extra energy that I need.”

Many people neglect the nutritious value of food and instead just focus on the particular tastes that satisfy their appetites.

“I eat chips and drink a Dr. Pepper,” Stephanie Morrison, ’06, said. “I like eating crunchy things, and it tastes good too.”

Others are not concerned with a special diet and just eat whatever pleases them.

“If I bring my lunch I will eat a sandwich, but if I eat at school I eat a quesadilla or a grilled cheese sandwich and drink a Gatorade,” Kirzia Tovar, ’06, said. “I eat these kinds of food because it’s yummy and flavorful.”

For more information regarding eating healthy visit the website below.