Yearbook staff travels to Jostens, tours factory

The yearbook class had the opportunity to take a field trip to Jostens in Visalia, CA, Oct. 15. There, the class was able to see different contributions from the workers and machines that take part in making yearbooks all throughout the United States.

Staff members and yearbook adviser, Amy Deffenbacher, had the opportunity to tour Jostens factory and watch the steps of how yearbooks are produced. Deffenbacher took her class to the factory to show her class what happens to their online work.

The class of eight traveled on a half day, after school ended. Transportation was provided by Deffenbacher herself, and her mother, Carolyn DeGroot.

“I took the class to Jostens because I thought it would be important for us to see that beyond all the work that we do?there?s a secondary process in making the yearbook,” Deffenbacher said. “The tour definitely gave us a greater appreciation for what happens beyond our work to get the yearbook into our hands.”

Zachary Smith, ?15, who is a first year member of the class, thought that the trip was very interesting.

“I learned that it actually takes a very long time to do everything just so that we can have a yearbook,” Smith said. “The part that I found most interesting was that the factory we got to tour was actually considered to be one of their smaller factories, when to me, it was huge. Overall I had a great experience.”

Yearbook Editor, Mikayla Messer, ?14, has been on staff for three years; she appreciates the company a lot more after watching the work they put in to produce each book.

“The trip to Jostens was definitely a very great experience,” Messer said. “I thought that it was a great opportunity not only for returning members, but also for the new members on the team. After touring the factory, it made me realize that they put in a lot of effort to make our yearbooks happen.”

With the trip turning out to be a successful one, Deffenbacher plans to take next year’s class on the tour again.

“I would take the students next year again,” Deffenbacher said. “I would probably prepare a little differently for the next time around, but overall I am very happy that we went.”

This author can be reached via Twitter: @sarahlim77. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the Oct. 22 article, Princess pageant kicks off week, embarrasses candidates.