Acadec gearing up for fall

With the Fresno county school-wide competition just recently over, the Academic Decathlon (Acadec) adviser is already looking forward to next year. An informational meeting will take place on May 1 during lunch in room 621 for any student who is interested.

Molly Sargent, Acadec adviser, invites all students to participate in an experience she believes makes learning an adventure. Topics from fine art to economics, music to government, and math are all studied and tested.

“I hope to interest people to get on the team,” Sargent said. “We will need at least eight students to commit in order to have a strong team.”

Because of its broad range of subjects, it is easy for a student to find something they like to study.

“Usually students find a topic they really like,” Sargent said, “and I encourage that. It is incredibly helpful in preparing for college and students receive four college credits.”

The students who eventually decide to be a part of the team will be categorized according to their grade point averages. The honors team is for students who hold a G.P.A. of 3.75 and above, the scholastic team for those with a G.P.A. between 3.0 and 3.74, and a varsity team, with G.P.A. of 3.0 or below.

“I recommend being on the ACADEC team,” Kari Maddox, ’03, said, “because you learn so much that you normally wouldn’t just with a regular curriculum. Even if you don’t get on the honors team, it’s well worth it.”

For more information on ACADEC, go to the meeting on Thurs. 24 or see Sargent in room 621.