BRIEF: Choral group to host annual dessert concert, Nov. 4

Once again, it is time for the FC music department to kick off November with the first home concert of the year.The music department annually holds a dessert concert where people can enjoy desserts during the concert itself. The concert will be held at the Student Ministries Center on the FC campus at 7 p.m., Nov. 4.

Students in the Percussion Ensemble, Adoration Ensemble, Kingsmen Ensemble, and Jazz Band will all perform a multitude of songs while desserts are auctioned off and shared in hopes of raising money for future music travels.

Head of the music department, Michael Ogdon, offers further insight on the event.

“This is an annual event, and it serves as a fundraiser for the music department,” Ogdon said. “We don’t ever charge for tickets for any of our own concerts, so this is really a chance for us to get some support from our community and help to do things in the future,” Ogdon said. “It basically helps minimize the travel cost for the students later on. Any time dessert is involved, success is not far off. As long as everyone enjoys themselves, I consider that a success.”

Adoration Ensemble member Shannon Martens, ’15, explains the fundraising aspect of the event.

“This concert is basically a fundraiser, because people auction off some of the nicer deserts and we can earn some money for the music department,” Martens said. “I think its going to be a lot of fun because we are singing a lot of fun song. Last year the dessert concert was very successful so Im really excited to see how this year goes.”

Sophomore Jazz band member, Justin Houts comments on the effort put into the event.

“We’ve been practicing for this concert every day, and I’m really excited for the concert this year because its going to help us raise money for the music department,” Houts said. “I also just really love music.”

Freshmen Percussion Ensemble member, Trevor Trevino expresses his passion for percussion and the hard work put into the upcoming performance.

“I joined the Percussion Ensemble because it is my God given talent, and it’s something I love to do, and I hope to continue with it throughout high school,” Trevino said. “We have been practicing for this oncer for awhile now, there are still a few things we need to work on, but overall we are all fairly confident.”

The Percussion Ensemble can be expected to preform “Percussion for Five,” followed by the Adoration Ensemble who will preform “He Knows My Name,” “Gather at the River,” “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” and “Nigra Sum.” The Kingsmen Ensemble will then preform “When the Saints Go Marching In,” “Ride in the Chariot,” “Your Grace Still Amazes Me” and “Pirate Song.” The Jazz Band will then finish the performance with “Rico’s Revenge,” “Remember When,” “Low Down,” “Slow Down Blues” and “Pressure Point.”

Adam Loughney, ’14, is a vocalist in the Kingsmen Ensemble and is very excited about the concert.

“This is my first time performing at a dessert concert,” Loughney said. “Our ensemble will be performing ‘Your Grace Amazes Me,’ ‘When the Saints Go Marching In,’ and we will also be singing other songs for the concert.”

For more information about the Dessert Concert, contact Micheal Ogdon by calling 559.287.4226 or email him at [email protected]

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson and @gaby_siqueiros. Follow the Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the Oct. 31 article Fall attractions kick off holidays.