BREAKING: Feather earns NSPA All-American rating

[media-credit name=”NSPA logo” align=”alignright” width=”239″]NSPAlogo[/media-credit]

After weeks of non-stop work and anticipating the critique from a judge, The Feather received an All-American newspaper ranking along with five marks of distinction from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA), Nov. 5, 2013. The publications are judged in five categories: coverage and content, interactivity and community, breaking news, design and navigation and rich media.

For the fourth year in a row The Feather received an All-American rating, and while the publication was awarded four marks of distinction in 2012, the paper was given five marks of distinction for this year.

The Feather obtained a score of 4,200 out of 4,300. Individual scores included 1,000/1,000 for coverage and content, 1,000/1,000 for interactivity and community, 500/500 for breaking news, 950/1,000 for design and navigation and 450/500 for rich media.

The publication was judged by Dr. Vincent Filak, an award-winning teacher, scholar and college media adviser. He is currently a professor of journalism at the University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh. Previously Filak as an associate professor of journalism at Ball State University where he was the adviser to the Ball State Daily News. That publication received more awards than any other student newspaper in the country while he served there.

While awarding a perfect score for the interactivity and community category, Filak was very impressed by sense of community and interactive elements the paper provides.

“Great job of creating a sense of community on the page via a number of elements,” Filak said. “The Pulse poll is a great use of an interactive element on your site. You have a strong presence on social media via your main page. You have established good positions on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.”

I also have to admit I was really impressed with the blogging schedule. That gives people a sense as to when things will be happening and when to check back. It also keeps the bloggers on task so they don’t end up leaving the blog as an empty shell. –Dr. Vincent Filak

Filak went on to praise The Feather for its use of hyperlinks to broaden the scope of interactivity. He appreciated the ability to engage in the materials published, which he believes is rare for high school publications.

While Falik viewed The Feather’s homecoming week coverage with its extensive use of videos, slideshows and podcasts, he still had some critiques on how to improve the media section.

“Keep an eye on length when it comes to the videos,” Falik said. “Some of these stretched beyond eight minutes. With that happening, you are asking your audience members to sit in front of a screen and do nothing but watch for eight minutes That’s a long time for a video . . . also keep an eye on some of the edits. You have Final Cut, so feel free to do some cutting.”

Filak also gave high recommendations to The Feather for its blogs and the tight schedule they hold.

“I also have to admit I was really impressed with the blogging schedule,” Filak said. “That gives people a sense as to when things will be happening and when to check back. It also keeps the bloggers on task so they don’t end up leaving the blog as an empty shell.”

Journalism Adviser Greg Stobbe is very pleased by the efforts put forth by his staff as they continue to produce a nationally-ranked daily paper. Although Stobbe had some doubts coming into the new school year, he was quickly proven wrong by the drive The Feather staff showed.

“After the school year began with only 14 Feather staffers, I had my doubts the group could refocus their efforts to produce a daily edition,” Stobbe said. “But the editors were determined to recruit from their peers and not use an excuse to produce less than last year’s staff. I am honored to be a part of an effort that strives for excellence every day.”

Second-year Editor-in-Chief Tynin Fries is also proud of her staff for stepping up to the challenge last year presented. After losing many staff members, Fries knew the remaining few would have to work hard to meet The Feather’s previous standard.

“After we performed so well last year, I knew it would be hard to rally the staff,” Fries said. “But we proved that we not only can match last year’s work, but we can outdo it. I am so proud of every member of the staff, and I just hope we can keep up our momentum.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @viv_hinojosa. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the Nov. 4 article, BRIEF: Choral group to host annual dessert concert, Nov. 4.