BRIEF: PLAN prepares students for future

The PLAN Test is a practice test for the American College Testing (ACT), which is an alternative for the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT). Students will have the opportunity to take this test, Dec. 4.

During this three and a half hour period, students who have signed up will assemble at the People’s Church Gym from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Academic Advisor Michelle Warkentin encourages all students to take the test.

“This test is structured in the same way as the ACT,” Warkentin said. “It will expose students to the same types of questions, level of difficulty and format as the ACT. I definitely recommend 10th and 11th graders to take the PLAN at least once. It is helpful to take both the PSAT and PLAN to see which one students are more successful on. This will be a good indicator as to which test [SAT or ACT] will be a better fit for them.”

The PLAN differs from the Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT) in that it has a science component and a slightly higher level of math. It prepares students for the actual ACT which is more geared towards math and science.

Matthew Jones, ’15, is one of the participants of the PLAN Test. Jones is taking the exam in preparation for the ACT.

“I am taking the PLAN Test because I want to practice for the SAT and ACT,” Jones said. “Some colleges require SAT scores, some want ACT and some want both, so I figured I would try my hand in both.”

As an optional test to take, Amanda Menes, ’14, is not taking the test. She thinks that she needs to take the test because she already received her final scores in the ACT.

“I am not taking the PLAN Test because I am a senior and I received my ACT score so there is basically no purpose in taking this test,” Menes said. “Even though I’m not taking this test, I can still apply for colleges because they only need your SAT and ACT scores.”

The PLAN Test money is due Nov. 8. The cost is $13 and it can be turned in to the high school office.

For more information about the PLAN Test, contact Michelle Warkentin via email: [email protected].

This writer can be reached via Twitter @mattgarza2017. Follow the Feather on Twitter @thefeather.