Music department anticipates upcoming holiday concert

With Thanksgiving so late this year, the campus music department is earnestly planning its two Christmas events: ‘A Candlelight Christmas’ scheduled for Dec. 11 and ‘Round the Table Carol Sing,’ Dec. 12.

The fourth annual ‘Round the Table Carol Sing’ will feature performances from the high school jazz band, percussion, Adoration Ensemble, Kingsmen Quartet and Celebration Choir, including two sessions of caroling at 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. The event will be held in the FC gym. Tickets are free, but should be reserved early for best seating.

One major contributing factor to the changes in the Christmas programs is the moving of the Northeast campus. With all of the Fresno Christian classes now residing on one campus, there was a need to unify the location of the Christmas concerts. But the busy schedule at Peoples Church made necessary for a second date for the lower elementary groups to set a time to perform.

As a result, the elementary and junior high musicians will join together for ‘A Candlelight Christmas,’ on the first night, Dec. 11. The 5:30 p.m. concert will utilize all of the class groups and feature the elementary band and choir and the junior high choir, too.

With the sheer number of family members eager to attend, the “Round Table” set up is the most practical presentation of the students’ musical abilities. The elementary and junior high students will also perform for their family and friends in more of a traditional concert setting on the eleventh.

This year’s ‘Carol Sing’ will have a more contemporary style compared to past years. Yet the Celebration Choir will sing songs such as “Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silence” and “There is Faint Music” as well as other contemporary pieces.

Each performance’s theme is based on the joy and gratitude that the holidays often focus on.

Many students are excited to participate in the campus choral and music department Christmas events. Cole Nale, ’15, thinks the event will come together nicely.

“I am really excited for the carol sing,” Nale said. “The performance is shaping up to be a very good one. I like learning new songs, but they are also harder for all of us to learn. I think that if we all learn the songs better, the performance will be great.”

The 10-member Adoration Ensemble’s performance will contain more of a mix between contemporary Christmas songs and traditional carols. They will be singing “Mary Did You Know,” a song made popular by the Gaither Vocal Band.

Ensemble member Annalise Rosik, ’14, has worked hard with her peers to learn the songs and is ready to perform them.

“We have been through the struggles of getting to know how to work well together,” Rosik said. “But now that we have been together for a long time we are starting to get really good.”

According to different members of the ensemble and choir, the preparation for the event has been good overall and they anticipate this year’s ‘Carol Sing.’

As head of the music department, Michael Ogdon looks forward to the programs, hoping they will be a hit.

“I agree,” Ogdon said. “This year’s programs will be really good.”. Ogdon has high hopes for this years performance.

The cafe setting will feature centerpieces and table settings designed by the musician’s family members. Cookies and hot cider will be served at the intermission. Kim Schapansky is accompanying the program and coordinating all the behind-the-scenes details.

High school students and supporters are encouraged to attend the ‘Round the Table Carol Sing,’ Dec. 12 at 5:30 or 7:30 in the FC gym.

Tickets are free, but are needed in order to make certain there will be seats available for all who want to attend. Tickets may be obtained from the music department and order forms are available in the school offices.

For more information, contact the music director Michael Ogdon.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @beal_trevor. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.