Choir adjudicated at ACSI musicale

Nervous choral groups wait backstage for their turn to perform. Lyrics tumble through their heads while they try to recall every harmony and key change. They step out on stage to perform, hoping their choir performs well enough to earn a Superior rating.

This year the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) High School Musicale will be held in Sacramento on March 3-5. During the course of the festival, the choirs will perform and be judged individually, and later join together for a mass choir performance with other participating students.

“Each participating choir will be adjudicated by Dr. Paul Smith of John Brown University in Arkansas,” Aaron Bryan, choir director, said. “He will invite the best groups to sing in the command performance on Friday night.”

Both the choir and ensemble have put extensive work into preparation for this festival.

“Students have shown their commitment by coming to two Saturday rehearsals this
semester,” Bryan said. “We have worked hard to memorize the six pieces for the mass choir as well as the two we will perform with Concert Choir and one extra for the Ensemble.”

While this excursion is small in comparison to the group’s journey to Hawaii in March ’04, they are still planning on having a good time.

“This trip is not as long or involved as some I have been on,” Brandon Cain, ’06, said, “But it will still be fun to go and be with the group. I’m also looking forward to the mass choir performance.”

After two days at the festival, the groups will journey to San Francisco for a day of touring and shopping as a reward for their hard work.

“I think San Francisco will be really fun,” Lorin Weskamp, ’08, said. “I’m really looking forward to it.”

The day in San Francisco will be a well-earned experience after the months of work that have gone into preparing for the festival. Bryan believes that their diligence will pay off and that the choir and ensemble will perform well.

“I think that both groups will do a great job,” Bryan said. “No matter what the outcome, I am extremely proud of their hard work and I know that they will be rewarded.”

For information about the choir or ensemble, contact Bryan at [email protected].