Local restaurant offers flavorful dishes, low prices

If you’re tired of the processed “meat” offered by the everyday chain fast food restaurants, do not compromise quality for time when you can have the best of both worlds at Grill Masters BBQ.

Located just south of the Shaw and Clovis intersection, this place is perfect for satisfying the worked up appetite of a Clovis Rodeo visiter.

While visiting a nearby store, we were drawn in by the not-so-common aroma of a barbecue joint. We could tell when we entered the door that this family-owned business was simple and well maintained.

We both ordered the combination plate for $9 and drinks for $2. We were very pleased when our food arrived in only seven minutes from the time we ordered.

The plate consisted of a choice of a almond wood grilled tri-trip, slow-cooked ribs, or a roast chicken. Then, they offer the option to pick any two sides, including house-made chilli beans, potato salad, seasoned steak fries, hand-tossed side salad and rice pilaf. We both chose to indulge in the tri-tip and beans but had differing opinions on the second side, after much deliberation we ended up choosing salad and fries.

Upon receiving our meals, we noticed that the tri-tip was sliced very thinly and soaking in it’s own glorious excretions. The meat is cooked to perfection over almond wood, but pulled off during the state of medium rare.

Then, it is sliced, put in a pan and covered in a jus. As soon as the tri-tp meats your taste buds, you faintly hear the singing of an Angelic choir in the distance. The meat has a very smokey, yet juicy flavor and really draws out the different spices.

One of our sides, the chili beans, were hand made with a plethora of unrevealed spices. These spices give the beans a unique flavor with a little kick.

The most common problem with chili beans is the lack of different textures and the right cooking technique. The Grill Masters have succeeded in producing a cultured blend of vegetables, beans and spices. These chili beans were a very good topping for the seasoned fries that came with the meal.

Grill Masters is owned by Maribelle Aguilar and her husband, who started the business after refusing to relocated with their prior company.

“We started this place up about three years ago,” Maribelle said. “My husband barbecued for B & L Quality Meats for about nine to 10 years and they were relocating their store. We didn’t want to move and since my husband knew the business, he decided to go and venture out on his own.”

Maribelle stated that their chili beans and burgers are becoming best sellers. They also offer two different kinds of delicious barbecue sauces. These sauces include sweet and tangy along with sweet and spicy. All the food and sauces served in Grill Masters is home-made and cooked with fresh, local ingredients, provided by B &L Quality Meats.

If you enjoy challenges, you may consider taking Grill Masters up on their Matty Ultimeat Challenge.

This challenge requires you to consume a burger containing four half-pound patties, cheese, eight pieces of bacon, one quarter pound of tri-tip and three ribs all piled between two toasted buns. You must also partake in a very generous helping of chili cheese fries and rice pilaf.

All together, this burger and the chili cheese fries with rice weigh a whopping five pounds. If that didn’t already sound challenging enough, try eating all that food within 25 minutes. If you do happen to complete this arduous task, the meal would be on the house and you would acquire a special t-shirt advertising your accomplishment.

Our experience at Grill Masters was very good. With a combination of great food and friendly service, we would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quick easy dinner. It would also be the perfect place to hire to cater your next Superbowl party.

Grill Masters is open Monday through Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. They accept cash or credit for payment. Grill Masters are located at 2700 Clovis Ave Clovis, CA 93612. If you wish to contact Grill Masters, they can be reached at 559.348.9483.

This writer can be reached via Twitter:@NhojNamood. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more reviews, read the Jan. 8 article, ‘Beyond: Two Souls’ disappoints despite big-name actors