Cindy Lane provides light art, decorations (VIDEO)

CindyLane
[/media-credit] Cindy Lane is located in Clovis behind the Willow Station shopping center just East of Willow and Alluvial. Homeowners have participated in decorating their homes for the past 18 years.

To kick off the Christmas season, a north Clovis neighborhood along Cindy Lane is a festive atmosphere, showcasing lights and decorations strung throughout the surrounding streets that draws in many folks celebrating the Christmas and holiday spirit.

Cindy Lane is located in Clovis behind the Willow Station shopping center just East of Willow and Alluvial. Homeowners have participated in decorating their homes for the past 18 years.

There are three similar neighborhood attractions in the Fresno/Clovis area: Huntington Boulevard, Christmas Tree Lane and Cindy Lane at Wawona Ranch Estates (sometimes referred to as Candy Cane or Holiday Lane).

Officially known as the Wawona Ranch Estates, the community started the tradition 18 years ago when Sandy Wecter decorated her home because of her admiration for her father’s love for Christmas. Ever since, the residents have participated in decorating their own dwellings with bright lights and various other Christmas decorations on both lawns and homes.

The tradition has since spread through Cindy’s surrounding streets: Bedford, Athens, Cromwell and Decatur along with Citadel and Terry Avenues. Thus, creating an atmosphere of pure Christmas spirit for all to enjoy.

Despite the amount of people that annually flock to Cindy Lane, freshman Jennifer King admits to not knowing about the festivities that take place.

“I’ve never heard of Cindy Lane before,” King said. “I live about five minutes walking distance from Christmas Tree Lane and I usually go every year with my friends and family. I have been to Candy Cane Lane, but Cindy Lane sounds pretty interesting and I would enjoy checking out what it is all about.”

Many families choose to walk or drive the attraction together; secretary Vickey Belmont enjoys taking the time to visit the lane every year because of her close proximity to the attraction.

“I love going to Cindy Lane every year because it’s right near me, and we just walk over with our little dog,” Belmont said. “It’s just Christmas in a nutshell, I don’t have to drive all the way across town and have to stay in my car. It’s very hands on at Cindy Lane, and I always love checking out the {Greg} Stobbe’s house.”

Due to its location, many people are willing to check it out. Junior Johnathon Brushwood lives in the area and attends as often as possible.

“i like Cindy Lane because I live really close, and it’s like an alternative to Christmas Tree Lane, also it’s not as busy as Christmas Tree Lane,” Brushwood said. “I really like how people walk it a lot and the homeowners sit out, around their fire pits and enjoy themselves.”

Homeowner David Sinner, enjoys decorating his home every year.

“I have lived on Cindy Lane for 22 years, and I have been decorating my home since I moved here,” Sinner said. “I like to decorate my home because it’s fun, and it was fun for my kids when they were young, and it’s fun for my grandkids. It takes me a couple days to set up because I don’t like to rush, but some of the other people in the neighborhood can get their houses ready in one weekend.”

Cindy Lane does not have any official opening or spokesperson. However, unofficially homeowners begin putting up illuminated yard art and lights the day after Thanksgiving and turn them on for viewing Dec. 1 starting at 5:30 p.m. Most homes remain lit each day until 10 p.m. However, be sure to visit Cindy Lane by Christmas as lights are taken down the next day.

On a side note, visitors are encouraged to park along Alluvial and Peach avenues on Friday and Saturday nights as the traffic is extremely heavy. Walkers often get the best experience those two evenings and nights in the days just before Christmas.

Be sure to read the 2012 article, Clovis residents anticipate upcoming holiday, decorate homes (VIDEO) for more information on Cindy Lane and the Wawona Estates Christmas experience.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson and @gaby_siqueiros. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the Dec. 11 article, Feather takes Christmas poll.