EDITORIAL: Breaking the box

“Step out of your comfort zone,” is such a cliche term that is often used, but does the importance of it truly reside with anyone? People choose to stay in their “comfort zone” because it is simply that, comfortable. But when people stay in that state of mind there is a possibility of missing out on the opportunity to affect others in a positive way.

The Feather staff would like to encourage students to step out of their comfort zone, no matter how inconvenient it may be. By doing so, students can experience the encouraging influence they can have on people around them.

Recently, a great leader, Nelson Mandela, known for his courage, forgiveness and willingness to never give up, passed away, leaving behind a legacy of greatness. Mandela accomplished great things for his nation, uniting a country that was utterly divided. On his journey to do so he spent 27 years in prison. Does that seem comfortable?

When Mandela was about 18 years into his sentence, he was given the option to leave because his imprisonment was causing a commotion within the country. However, Mandela refused to leave and finished out his sentence, saying that he would fulfill the punishment given to him for his crimes.

Nothing about this seems to be inside Mandela’s comfort zone. The prison, Robben Island, he was held at is notorious for its horrible conditions and harsh treatments. But by Mandela choosing to complete his sentence in prison, he affected the people around him, and ultimately his entire nation. Mandela forced himself so far out of what was comfortable to make a difference.

Now, The Feather is not telling students to go spend 27 years in prison to make a difference, but The Feather wants to encourage students to try to make a difference even if it is a small step out of their comfort zone. Students should break out of the box where everything seems to be convenient.

Everyone has their group of friends that they stick with, which only makes sense because people are attracted to others who are most like them. But what would happen if a student started talking to someone they normally don’t? This can have so many effects not only on the student executing the act, but also on their friends and ultimately the person receiving the act.

It can help the student initiating the sequence become even more comfortable with talking to others outside the friendship group and it can influence the friends and the individual to do the same. A simple act can start a chain reaction that infects the entire student body.

It can also be as simple as speaking up in class. In most English classes, discussions are had about what students think of the current novel being read in class. Some students are too afraid to speak up, possibly thinking what they have to say is incorrect or that their fellow classmates will judge them. But, by one student, who normally wouldn’t, raising their hand and sharing their thought, it can encourage other students to be more confident as well.

Mandela took it a step further than most people do. Typically, people do not invite the person who tried to get them killed to dinner, but Mandela did. In 1963 Mandela was on trial for treason with the prosecutor, Percy Yutar, vying for the death penalty for Mandela. Well, in 1995 Mandela invited Yutar to dine with him where they enjoyed a meal, with Mandela saying that Yutar was only doing his job at the time.

One aspect that is typically outside of most people’s comfort zone is forgiveness. Sure, people can forgive the little things easily, but what about when it comes to a serious matter? Mandela forgave the person who wanted him dead, which had to be breaking the box for him. It is not the most comfortable thing in the world to forgive someone of a harsh act they have committed, but Mandela did it without hesitation.

Breaking the box, stepping out of the comfort zone, stretching the limits and all the rest of those cliche sayings bring true importance. Without any of these things, people would never be influenced to try to make a difference. So students should give it a try, and see what influence they create.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more opinions, read the Dec. 12 article, ASB president finds self, encourages discovery.