COLUMN: Disinterest in current events is impacting a generation

Rees
[/media-credit] Opinions editor, Rees Roggenstein, reflects on the current generations growing apathy towards news and current events.
What happens when a person takes something for granted? They lose it. What happens when they take their friends, family, and loved ones for granted? Those relationships begin to fail. Becoming apathetic towards gifts usually results in losing them.

What about a person’s rights and liberties? Can these things be lost as well? Yes, if the people are unwilling to stand up for their beliefs and fight for what they have they eventually lose it. Despite knowing this, America’s youth have grown disinterested towards news and their first amendment rights.

Disinterest is insidious, but its presence in our society becomes more apparent with each passing day. The younger generations no longer seem to know and no longer seem to care about the affairs of this world. Already they are becoming more and more uninformed, and transforming into empty vessels consumed with their own little worlds, blissfully unaware of their surroundings.

Research shows that at least a third of young adults “do not have news in their lives”. The death of printed newspaper, a lack of family conversation during meals, and a general lack of education have all been pointed to as possible causes for these statistics. Regardless of the why, the implications are dire.

In order for a modern democracy to operate it requires informed citizens. Democratic society cannot exist if people vote blindly, that foolishness creates disorder and anarchy. If the youth continue to grow up not caring about the news, or their rights, we end up creating a nation of idiots, a nation that will fall.

Disinterest is insidious, but its presence in our society becomes more apparent with each passing day. The younger generations no longer seem to know and no longer seem to care about the affairs of this world. Already they are becoming more and more uninformed, and transforming into empty vessels consumed with their own little worlds, blissfully unaware of their surroundings. –Rees Roggenstein

The only way to remedy this growing crisis is to inform the people at younger ages and encourage them to form their own thoughts. Parents should begin talking to their children about the news and ask the kids for their opinions, and teachers should enlighten students to current news events.

Already strides are being made to educate the masses on the importance of news and information. News Engagement day stands as a testament to this endeavor, but more can be done to inform the people.

Make sure to support journalists and their passion to report the news. Do not take them or their work for granted, because without them modern society could fall apart.

For more information on National News Engagement Day, check out Brian William’s Video and KABC Talk Radio.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather,  Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein.

For more opinions, read the Sept. 27 article, Novice staffers share journalistic expectations