Boys soccer sports shorts: Sierra

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-0 in the West Sequoia League and 0-1 overall as of Dec. 4

EAGLES PICK UP FIRST WIN, 3-2, Dec. 13

The Eagles played up at Sierra High School against the Sierra Chieftains, Dec. 13. Both teams were fired up and ready for a good fight; shaking off the cold conditions, the game started and the fight began.

Through the first half, both teams remained scoreless; the Eagles had numerous shots but each were just inches away. The Chieftains had a few chances but were unable to capitalize on any of the attempts, thus ending the first half. At the start of the second, the Eagles came out tired but pumped for the conclusion, hopeful to win the game.

The Chieftains scored in the first few minutes after the half, but the Eagles returned with two terrific shots by homeschooler Taylor Howard. Yet the Chieftain scored once again, tying the two teams in the last ten minutes of the game, with both teams yearning for the win, the game intensified, but the Eagles were not to be denied, they scored in the last 5 minutes. Ending the game 3-2, and giving the Eagles their first win of the season.

Coach Matt Markarian was happy with the outcome of the game but says the Eagles could have done much better.

“The team played hard,” said Coach Markarian. “They played well and pulled out a win, they just need to work on finishing and we will be in perfect shape. I?m looking forward to the rest of the season to see the boys hard work pay off.”

Homeschooler and Junior Taylor Howard was happy with how the game went, but admits there were mistakes which set the team back in taking the lead.

“It was an intense game,” said Howard. ?Once we got to their goal we just couldn’t get a ball in, even after several attempts. We need to work on our shots and our positioning so we are in the perfect spot, to make an easy goal. With these corrections we will be able to play the more advanced teams and hopefully capitalize on our shots on goal.”

The Eagles will next play away at Liberty High school on Dec. 17.

For more information, see the Winter sport box scores.