Sophomore enjoys volunteer tradition with family

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 2.41.39 PM
[/media-credit] It wasn’t until recently that I realized what an impact you can make by just ringing a bell. My family and I go down to the Fashion Fair Mall and ring the bell for two hours.

Christmas time is the time where most people give back to the community whether it’s donating to a food drive or giving up your time to help others. Every year around this time my family and I ring the bell for the Salvation Army.

It wasn’t until recently that I realized what an impact you can make by just ringing a bell. My family and I go down to the Fashion Fair Mall and ring the bell for two hours.

When you start to ring the bell most people are just too busy shopping for the holidays to put some change in the kettle. When people do give it’s so encouraging to see someone who doesn’t look like they care, giving out of the kindness of their heart.

My family and I are not there to just wait for people to give, but we are there to smile at people and give some candy canes to people who look like they need it. By doing this it can make someone’s day and show them that God loves them.

I feel like people nowadays think that giving money to charity has to take a huge amount of time and money, but in reality that one penny you give can help change someone’s life. It can make a difference on your day as well.

As the day approached to volunteer again, I came in with a different outlook on volunteering. Everyone struggles with something and it can be so encouraging when someone takes time out of their day to smile at you and look like they care.

I found it my job to encourage everyone and anyone who walked by. If you ever get a chance to ring the bell or donate money to the Salvation Army, do it because it is such a unique opportunity.

For more opinions, read the Dec. 17 article, Senior reflects on learning experience, journalism.