Drama performance requires dedication from students

Bye-Bye Birdie was originally inspired by Michael Stewarts' novel, Lets go steady. The production hit Broadway in 1960.
[/media-credit] Bye-Bye Birdie was originally inspired by Michael Stewarts’ novel, Lets go steady. The production hit Broadway in 1960.

Drama class to perform Bye-Bye Birdie

This year the FC drama department has embarked upon a whole new genre, musicals. Drama students are scheduled to perform Bye-Bye Birdie at Ground Zero, March 6-8. As the date of the event draws ever near, the cast prepares to give a stunning performance.

Bye-Bye Birdie was originally inspired by Michael Stewarts‘ novel, Lets go steady. The production hit Broadway in 1960. It is the story of a fictional American pop- star, Conrad Birdie, who was drafted into the war.

Birdie?s manager and song writer, Alfred Peterson, arranged one last publicity stunt in order to promote Birdie?s last song. He was to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show and give one girl from his fan club a farewell kiss.

Drama and choir director Susan Ainley has considered doing a musical for many years. She says the number of drama students this year made it possible. She choose Bye-Bye Birdie for its lovable plot and lively music.

“I have been thinking about this for a long time,” Ainley said. “When I saw I had thirty students signed up for drama this year, I knew we would do it. I love this musical, it?s fun and exciting. It has great characters that the audience will love. The music from the time period is great too”.

Alexis Kalugin, sophomore drama student, will be singing in the ensemble of this musical. She says that preparation will involve determination and hard work. However she believes that the school function will be a success and is excited to dance on stage.

“I think a challenge right now is having the energy to really get into it,” Kalugin said. “I will be in the ensemble. I?m most excited to dance in the Put on a Happy Face song.”

Due to the early deadline, and increased difficulty of the production, drama students have frequent practices and rehearsals in order to prepare themselves, including lunch, after school and weekend meetings. A choreographer has also been hired to insure that the major musical routines go smoothly.
&%picture2placement%&
Senor drama student Kyle Hudecek will be playing the role of Conrad Birdie. He looks forward to the singing and dancing numbers, although he admits that learning dance steps and full songs will take more time and dedication than that of a regular play.

“My favorite part is probably the musical numbers,” Hudecek said. “They are just lots of fun to sing, dance and act in. One of the challenges is that in addition to words and dialogue we also have to learn to sing and dance. It will take a whole lot of extra time.”

Music director Michael Ogdon and the jazz band have partnered with the drama department for the production. The jazz band will play the musical numbers and add to the authenticity of the program. The Adoration Ensemble and the Kingsmen Quartet will also be featured. They will aid in increasing the volume of the cast and harmonizing.

Ainley says she anticipates a spectacular performance from her drama students and is eager to see the Senior students try something new in their last semester of drama class. She encourages the Fc community to join the audience.

“I have complete confidence that this amazing group will put on the best show ever,” Ainley said. “I can tell that my lead characters all practiced over break, and their solos sound wonderful already. Everyone is trying to give their best, and we are having so much fun learning to dance! I am excited to watch the senior drama students perform a musical in their last semester of high school and I hope everyone comes to the performance to support the drama class.”

Tickets for this event will be available for pre-sale in February at the price of $10 and at the production for $15.

For more features, read the Jan. 10 article, Teacher continues family’s multi-generation mission work.

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronlilne. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee.