Spanish Club focuses on community service

Spanish Club is a club that encourages students to interact with each other by expanding their knowledge on the Spanish culture. Some of the Spanish clubs activites consit of playing games, cooking, eating Spanish meals, community service projects, and learning about different cultures and traditions from the Spanish countries.

The officers for the club are as follows: Kaitlyn King is Treasurer, Jenna Weimer holds the position of Secretary, Viviana Hinojosa runs Public Relations, Daniel Moore is the Vice President and Adam Loughney is President. The club is overseen by the Spanish teacher, Beatriz Foth.

Foth plans on taking her club on service projects to give the students an idea of how to help the spanish communities. The international project was accomplished last semester when the club partnered with an organization to make backpacks filled with school supplies for children.

“I am thinking of doing two service project at sometime during the semester, one local, and one international,” Foth said. “We are also thinking of how we can teach people about Spanish cultures and traditions because a lot of people think that all Spanish countries celebrate the same thing and have the same cultures and traditions, but that’s not true because there are a lot of different countries that celebrate different cultures.”

Some of the things Foth provides is how to make easy Spanish dishes, learn about holidays like Dia De Los Reyes Magos (Wisemen Day), El Ano Nuevo (New Year’s celebration), and try out different costumes that many people wear.

“One of the things we do is we take an Easter basket and fill it with Easter eggs, candy, toys, and decorative grass from Dollar Tree and give to the needy,” Foth said. “We are just brainstorming ideas of what we can do for the community for this semester.”

Loughney has been working hard with Foth to come up with plans on what to do during the second semester. He is planning on working along with the other officers on what to do.

“We are planning to play more games and other activites to get the club members involved and let them learn about the cultures in Mexico and other spanish speaking countries,” Loughney said. “I joined Spanish Club my sophomore year and I really enjoyed being around Senora Foth and the Spanish class. I wanted to know more about the Spanish cultures so I joined and I have enjoyed it ever since.”

One of the members of the club, Alli Breedlove, ?16, enjoys what happens in the club. The foods and drinks are just some of the things that she loves most.

“I like the food and the different cultures that can learn about,” Breedlove said. “There?s a mexican soda called Jarritos that taste really good.”

Spanish Club meets every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month. The next meeting will be on Jan. 27.

This writer can be reached via Twitter @mattgarza2017. Follow The Feather on Twitter @thefeather.

For more features, read the Jan. 15 article Stunt group prepares for USA competition, Jan. 18