Girls soccer sport shorts: Fowler

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2013-14, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 1-1 in the West Sequoia League and overall 9-4 as of Jan. 21.

EAGLES DEFEAT REDCATS, WIN SECOND LEAGUE GAME

After losing their first league game against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, the Eagles traveled to Fowler High School to face off against the Redcats, Jan. 17.

Due to construction on the main stadium, the match took place in a back-lot practice field. The game was considered a rematch for the Eagles, after losing to the Redcats in the preseason Fowler Lions Tournament, Dec. 4.

The two teams were equally matched, neither scoring in the first 20 minutes of the game. But the Eagles continued to pressure the Redcats, finally scoring about 30 minutes into the game. Senior Annalise Rosik, No. 18, was able to score off a cross from fellow teammates.

Shortly after, the Eagles regrouped and set junior Ivette Ibarra, No. 6, up to score, bringing the Eagles on top at the end of the first half, 2-0. Ibarra was playing a new position, and scoring has only given her confidence for future games.

“Playing offense was a great experience; I had never played up top before, and it actually proved to be a great decision on my coaches part,” Ibarra said. “I scored a goal, and I was so excited and jittery once I saw the ball fly into the net. Hopefully I have more moments like that one throughout the season.”

Though the Eagles were ahead, the bad air quality (classified as orange-level on game day) affected many of the girls, causing a few to sit out of the game.

The team applied less pressure, and that’s when the Redcats were able to score, bringing them back into the game, 2-1. Despite their goal, the Redcats were unable to score again, leaving the Eagles with the win.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @TyninFries. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sport shorts, read the Jan. 8 article, Girls soccer sport shorts: Garces Tournament.