Basketball sport shorts: Chowchilla

team
[/media-credit] The 8-5 Eagles were looking to redeem themselves after a heartbreaking loss to Tranquillity when they travelled to Chowchilla High School to play the Redskins, Jan. 15.
BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14
For a preview to the Eagles basketball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Winter Sports Box Scores, 2013-2014, for dates, times, and all winter sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 8-6 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Dec. 11. The Eagle’s next game will be Jan. 21, as they host the Minarets Mustangs.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14
EAGLES DROP SECOND STRAIGHT, LOSE TO CHOWCHILLA, 69-58, Jan. 15

The 8-5 Eagles were looking to redeem themselves after a heartbreaking loss to Tranquillity when they travelled to Chowchilla High School to play the Redskins, Jan. 15.

However, the Redskins had a different plan in mind, as they came out strong right from the tip-off by outscoring the Eagles 10-2 in the opening minutes. Despite the run, FC was able to bring it within six points at the end of the first quarter, 9-15. In the second quarter, the Eagles started to get hot, but the redskins continued to put the ball through the net and managed to increase their lead to fifteen at the end of the half, 25-40.

Coming out of the break, Chowchilla refused to cool down, knocking down continuous three-pointers from long range. By the end of the third the Redskins held a nineteen point advantage over the Eagles. However in the fourth quarter FC came surging back, consistently slimming down the deficit with every possession. Despite the scoring run, they were not able to mount a full comeback and fell to Chowchilla 58-69.

Chowchilla’s guard Lorenzo Cuevas was lights out from downtown. He led all scorers with 37, scoring more than half of the Redskins points. Meanwhile, senior Brian Scott again lead the way for the Eagles, scoring 20.

Junior Trevor Beal says it is tough to defend a team with a player that shoots how Cuevas did, but nonetheless it was no excuse for a loss.

“The guy from Chowchilla was unconscious.” Beal said, ” We should have changed our defensive gameplan earlier and tried to shut him down. But that’s no excuse; we were the better team and needed to perform at a higher level”

The Eagles next game will be played at Sierra Pacific High School in Hanford for a one day showcase as the team will play Strathmore High School.

For more information, see the Winter sport box scores, 2013-14.