Packets free summer schedule

The temperature outside is 104 degrees and most students are enjoying swimming and tanning, eating Popsicles, sleeping in and talking on the phone with friends till the early hours of the morning. Yet some students are worried about their grades, and have decided to attend six weeks of summer school.

Packets are offered for students that cannot attend summer school at public schools or that desire to take classes that will not fit into their schedule. Many students prefer packets to going to a public school because it is similar independent studies.

“I prefer packets because you do school during the year and not over the summer,” Tyler Wiebe,’04, said. “The positive side about packets is that I am able to see Gary Schultz [principal].”

Students do the work on their own, come in the office to take a test on the chapter they have learned. This gives them a chance to travel and does not hinder their summer plans.

“Summer school is an excellent way to bring up your G.P.A or create some space in your schedule,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “Students do need to be disciplined in order to complete the packets. Schultz will not call you at home to get you out of bed, it will be their responsibility to do the work on their own.”

Summer school is even provided for students who did not receive the grade they wanted in a class.

“I am mad that I have to take biology over the summer,” Nick Carerra,’05, said. “I was supposed to get a job, but since I did not receive the grade that I wanted in biology; I plan to retake it at Central High School.”

While students may retake classes to improve grades or make room for classes they want to take the following year, some are looking forward to graduation and beyond.

“I am going to take summer school for my credits,” Sena Lee, ’03, said. “I am not happy or excited for my summer school packets, but I get to graduate one year earlier, so I am already excited about my senior year with my lunch pass in hand.”

Summer school and packet registration forms are available in the high school office. The cost for one semester is $150 but a full year’s credit is $300.