Art students submit postcards, compete nationally

For the 15th year, the art class are competing for the Nasco Sketchables Postcard Art Contest. Students sent their postcards in and winners will be announced in the Nasco 2015 Art and Crafts Catalog.

First place will receive $100, second place will receive $75 and third place will receive $50 plus art supplies for the school.

Art teacher, Sharon Scharf takes advantage of all art contests for campus students and school promotions. She expects students to do their best on these postcards

“The postcards cost $5.60 for 50 postcards,” Scharf said. “I am allowing my students to use graphite, acrylic, watercolor or anything that will satisfy the students.”

The postcards were sent to Fort Atkinson, WI, prior to Jan. 24 for adjudications. However, despite the contest being so far away, Scharf thinks that the judging is non-objective.

“We have no idea who the judges are and how they judge,” Scharf said. “Someone would take their drawing to one contest and win Best in Show, but he/she could take their project to another art contest and they would reject it.

One of the art students, Juliana Rosik, ’16, feels very confident about her work, but is disappointed she had to send in the postcard.

“I did an acrylic painting of a snowy and scenic sunset,” Rosik said. “I am sad that I had to give it up, but I really do like my work.”

Another postcard participant, N’Gai Jones, ’14, was surprised by how well his postcard turned out.

“I did a colored pencil drawing of the face of a tribal young woman,” Jones said. “To be honest, it came out better than expected. It was a fun project because it’s also competitive.”

Each student attempts to use different syles to complete their postcard, adding personality to it. Cayla Rivas, ’18, decided to doodle on her postcard, making the process relaxing to work on.

“I used pen and ink on my doodle,” Rivas said. “However, what I drew was non-objective because I used random lines and shapes.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter @mattgarza2017. Follow The Feather on Twitter @thefeather.

For more news, read the Jan. 29 article, BRIEF: CSF offers tutoring every Wednesday.