Public commemorates 9/11 tragedy (VIDEO, PODCAST)

Pelco by Schneider Electric hosts touching memorial

The Feather understands that the events of 9/11 can be seen as gruesome to some audiences. Readers discretion is advised.

On the 13th anniversary of 9/11, crowds gathered to remember those who risked and lost their lives at the World Trade Center.
[/media-credit] On the 13th anniversary of 9/11, crowds gathered to remember those who risked and lost their lives at the World Trade Center.

In response to the tragic events committed on September 11, 2001, people around the nation gather to remember the fellow Americans that lost their lives in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

For the past 13 years, in honor of the horrific acts, Pelco by Schneider Electric, has held an annual 9/11 memorial event on their grounds. This event is open to the general public and all who have served to defend our countries rights.

This year, the event featured various processions that varied from mounted patrol to a 21 Gun Salute by the Marine Corps. Since the start of the annual ceremony Chief Anthony Whitaker, retired, of the Port Authority Police of New York and New Jersey, and retired New York Fire Department (FDNY) fire fighter Andy Isolano, have been the guests of honor.

These two highly respected 9/11 survivors shared their struggles in overcoming the event and left the crowd with a deeper understanding of the tragedies that occurred that day.

At the time of the attack Chief Whitaker, was the police captain responsible for all Port Authority officers assigned to the World Trade Center. He played a key role in the evacuation of the complex after the attacks.

Whitaker, in his speech, stressed the importance that we as American citizens must renew our loyalty, love and dedication to our country.

“The losses that we, the American people, incurred on Sept. 11, 2001 by the way of terrorist attacks against our nation, still remain vivid in our consciousness,” Whitaker said. “Our nation, our people, our way of life and our God; give us the strength to endure through that cowardly act.”

Whitaker witnessed gruesome scenes within the flame engulfed towers on 9/11 (Readers discretion is advised for the following comments).

“While I was in the towers that day, I was knocked unconscious multiple times,” Whitaker said. “The one time I remember waking up, I was in a large corridor leading from tower 1 to tower 2. My vision was still blurry and I felt as if I was walking upon pillows. As I began to regain clarity I realized that I was walking upon a mass of dead bodies. I continued to make my way throughout the corridor, when I witnessed two burning bodies running towards me. There was nothing I could do for them because by the time they got to me, they were already reduced to skeletons.”

(PODCAST) 9/11 survivor Chief Whitaker: Sept. 11–

The perspective on the attacks from a students point-of-view is nearly as emotional as that of an adult at the time of the attack. Freshman Mariana Fikse, described her memories of the attacks

“I was only about one when 9/11 happened,” Fikse said. “I don’t really remember much only what I saw on the news and what my parents have told me. I think it’s important to remember all the people who died and to prevent it from ever happening again.”

Upperclassman have a better grasp on the severity of the carnage created by the attacks. Senior Tyler Dondlinger, expressed his feelings on the importance of remembering 9/11.

“I remember that everyone was talking about it everywhere, it’s all you heard about on the news,” Dondlinger said. “I was about to leave for school and my parents started to freak out, but I had no idea what was going on. It’s important to remember because as time goes on the subject becomes duller and isn’t as much of a big deal to people.”

Debate teacher Donn Rojeski, expounded upon the importance of adapting to our international affairs.

“Sept. 11 2001, may well have been the Pearl Harbor of this generation,” Rojeski said. “Our {America} initial response was similar to that of Pearl Harbor, but that commitment, at least in part, faded away. However, the events of the last few days may have reignited Americas commitment to confront evil with all our strength. At least I hope so.”

National security policy has become much more strict following the attacks on 9/11. Wars have been waged due to the atrocities on that day and continue to be fought throughout the world.

Despite occurring conflicts within our own borders, events like 9/11 unite us as a nation and as people.

Andy Isolano, former FDNY fire fighter, expressed the importance of learning from our national tragedies.

“Here we are 13 years later. This day doesn’t get any easier for me, only this day though,” Isolano said. “I made a commitment many years ago that I would not let that day run my life. I hope that I am an example of perseverance to people.”

Learning through tragedy is a theme that Isolano wanted people to learn from this tragedy.

“It is time that we remember, and put behind any grievances or issues that we have with anybody, friends, family or foes,” Isolano said. “I would like everybody here to take home with them that they are going to make a phone call or to give a hug to someone that they haven’t in a while. If we put behind these issues we have, we may never have to stand here after a tragedy like we are today.”

For a feature story on another New York City firefighter’s experience, read Brittany Stobbe’s March 29, 2007, interview with John Morabito of FDNY Ten House: 9/11: Portrait of FDNY hero.

For more information, check out the Pelco 9/11 memorial.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @2015Beal and @namoodnhoj.

For more features, read the Sept. 10 article, Apple announces new products: Join the discussion.