WSL meeting puts aside rivalries, bonds students

For the third time this school year, Associate Student Body (ASB) members travelled to the West Sequoia League and West Sierra League (WSL) meeting to convene in a time where the schools from the leagues collaborate on ideas for various school activities, Jan. 27.

The WSL meetings are attended by all ASB students from the two leagues. That means all student body presidents, vice presidents, secretaries and other commissioners are involved in the meeting.

This meeting was held at Riverdale High School where students took a tour of the school and afterwards joined together for breakfast. The meeting consisted of ice breaker games and separating off into groups to brainstorm different ideas for school events.

While the students congregate to discuss the ideas for their events, the advisors of the ASB members also meet to have their own conversation. The advisors share plans about upcoming events, and the activities that have proved to be popular for their schools.

Finding the meetings very informational, Coalinga High School ASB Vice President, Ruchi Rawal, ’15, is very inspired when she attends. She appreciates the other ideas put forth by different schools and looks forward to putting them to use.

“It’s a really good opportunity that schools get to learn how other schools do things,” Rawal said. “We get great new ideas like how to make school dances more popular, what to do for homecoming that will actually be fun for the student body. So, I think in that aspect it’s a really great idea that we collaborate like this. This meeting was really good as was the previous one, and I look forward to upcoming meetings.”

Caruthers High School ASB member, Eric Cortes, ’15, enjoys going to the meetings and learning new ideas from other schools. Cortes has also found the meetings as a good way to put aside any rivalries between schools and bond more as

“We all come together to interact, not only to learn what other schools do but we also bond,” Cortes said. “It brings us together and leaves rivalries between schools behind. I’ve learned new ideas for dances and different school activities. I’m definitely looking forward to prom now after hearing so many great ideas from various schools.”

“When the advisors get together at the WSL meetings we discuss, brainstorm and collaborate on creative ideas and needs of the ASB programs,” Catalan said. “Not only do the meetings give the advisors a chance to collaborate, it helps the students plan their years and come up with new and creative ideas. It is critical that schools see each other outside of the sports arena where we can all work together.”

FC ASB president, Caleb Nale, ’14, has found the meetings very encouraging. He enjoys receiving ideas from other students as well as sharing some of the themes and activities FC takes part in.

Leadership Advisor for Caruthers High School, Anthony Catalan has been a part of the WSL meetings for four years and has loved the process. He has seen the meetings develop in their organizational skills as well as the schools grow closer together.

“I really enjoy attending the meetings,” Nale said. “It’s fun to get together with the other schools and get new ideas for events. Interacting with the other students is a good experience because not only do we get ideas from them but they can also get ideas from us, and it really encourages me when people like what FC does.”

Senior Angelica Chavez, ASB Secretary for Firebaugh High School, believes that the meetings open up opportunities for students to meet new people and get new ideas for activities, to bring back to their high school.

“The meetings are fun and you get to meet a lot of new people,” Chavez said. “It’s beneficial for our school because we get new ideas. The meeting at Riverdale was pretty funny. Theres a lot of ideas that different schools have that we have never even thought of, such as sharing different Sadie’s ideas. We’re definitely planning on taking these ideas back.”

The next meeting will be held at Caruthers high school.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @viv_hinojosa. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the Jan. 28 article, California deals with repercussions of drought.