Jump into the drought: Join the discussion

As the Fresno area receives its first rainfall in months, concerns about the drought become a common discussion, Jan. 30. The lack of rain has affected many cities throughout California, threatening to harm this year’s crops especially.

As winter progressed without improvement, governor Edmund G. Brown declared an official statewide drought emergency, Jan. 17.

This year’s rainfall has hit record lows, hitting between 3.6 to 6.1 inches instead of the usual 15 to 23.6 inches. The state-wide drought is not only an immediate problem, but will prove problematic in the coming years.

As thoroughly discussed in Jenna Weimer’s Jan. 28 article, California deals with repercussions of drought, city officials are encouraging everyone to take a few steps to limit their use of water.

The Feather staff wants to encourage students, teachers and members of the community to submit comments about the drought, including what individuals plan to do to help.

The Feather also wants to encourage readers to discuss the ‘No drought on social media sites using the hashtag: #NoDrought.

Putting drainage to good use
Vicky Belmont, FC Staff
January 31, 2014

It is really sad. It is sad for the farmers. Its going to be rough when summer comes around and there is going to be a lot of dry earth and fire hazards. We can help by taking shorter showers and using the extra water to water our plants.

Shorter showers
Tyler Dondlinger, ’15
January 31, 2014

I really like the rain. It cleans the air up and makes it feel a lot fresher. I think this recent rain is just the beginning of more to come. I guess I can help by taking shorter showers and not wasting a lot of water.

Make it rain
Zach Jakusz, ’14
January 31, 2014

I usually make it rain, but I haven’t been able to do it lately. This drought is bad because the air is getting all gross and the farmers can’t water their crops. I can also help by going green.

Feeling bad for the farmers
Alena Orth, ’17
January 31, 2014

This drought has been pretty rough for a lot of people. It has been bad for the farmers because they haven’t been able to water their crops and the kids with asthma have had a hard time breathing. We can all pray for more rain to come.

Feeling helpless
Tyler Sellers, ’16
January 30, 2014

This whole drought thing really sucks. Water makes corn, and corn is good, therefore I want water. I really don’t think there is anything I can do to help change the drought.

Gibby’s opinion
Garrett Hill, ’15
January 30, 2014

Personally I don’t really like it. I like to play in the rain and mess around in it, plus its good for the earth. I don’t really know what else to do to help it. I could maybe do a rain dance I guess.

Praying for rain
Ryan Stewart, ’14
January 30, 2014

This drought is really bad in my opinion. I have a good family friend who is a farmer and his crops have suffered a lot this year. All we can do to help is pray about it.

Going green
Katie Uribe, ’14
January 30, 2014

It’s been really dry this year. I feel bad for all the people who rely on the rain to live, like the farmers. I think I am already helping out by driving a Prius.

Making changes
Brittany Bender, ’14
January 30, 2014

This drought is awful. It is way to dry for me. I love it when the weather is rainy. The air gets all gross when it doesn’t rain. I guess I can start helping by planting trees or something like that.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @TyninFries. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the Jan. 28 article, California deals with repercussions of drought.

Rayna Endicott