Boys soccer sport shorts: Caruthers

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 0-6, West Sequoia League, and 2-10 overall as of Feb. 5.

EAGLES LOSE, 3-2, AGAINST BLUE RAIDERS, JAN. 31

The Eagles travelled to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan. 31. Although they were motivated the boys remained winless in league.

The Blue Raiders scored within the first five minutes, pulling out the early lead. Yet the fight was far from over, the Eagles soon returned with a shot by junior Taylor Howard which slotted right into the corner. With the score, even bystanders were almost sure to see an interesting game. By the end of the half, the Blue Raiders had scored once again.

At the beginning of the next half the Eagles defense let up and the Raiders achieved one more goal. With a whole half to go, the Eagles set forth to catch up once again. With numerous chances the Eagles remained down by two until Howard was fouled in the goal box. Sophomore Josh Carter took the penalty kick and made it into the corner with only minutes left of the game. Yet the Eagles did not have enough time to catch up to the lead, thus ending the game 3-2, Caruthers.

Head coach Matt Markarian was disappointed with the abate in the intensity in the defense which he believed to be the source of the loss.

“We played a good game,” Markarian said. “But since we do not score a lot we have to be unwavering in our defense which didn’t happen the full 80 minutes of playing time. With our defense solid in the next few games we will be able to put up a good fight.”

Captain David Taylor, ’14, was happy with how he played but disappointed with the outcome.

“We played a hard fought game,” Taylor said. “We just let a goal get passed us which shouldn’t have and remained unable to capitalize on any of our many chances. Im proud of how the team played overall though; ready to give a tremendous fight.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the Jan. 31 article, Boys soccer sport shorts: Riverdale.