Girls soccer sport shorts: Riverdale

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2013-14, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls? soccer schedule, home page, or check out Mapreps.com. FC is currently 1-4 in the West Sequoia League and overall 9-7 as of Jan. 29.

EAGLES DEFEATED BY COWBOYS, 1-0

After tying against the Parlier Panthers, the Eagles traveled to Riverdale High School to face off against the Cowboys, Jan. 28. The Eagles expected a tough game, but were not prepared for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys came out strong, scoring within the first quarter of the first half, bringing the score to 1-0. The Eagles failed to score themselves, bringing the first half to an end with the Eagles down, 1-0.

Despite the Eagles holding their ground, they were unable to score on the Cowboys for the entirety of the game. Riverdale played a defensive game for most of the second half, keeping the Eagles out of the box.

Senior captain, Tynin Fries, No. 4, was disappointed with her team and expects that the Eagles will have to fight to make it into playoffs.

“This should have been an easy game for us,” Fries said. “Now that we’ve lost to everyone, except Fowler, in our league, we are really going to have to fight to make it into playoffs. Our team needs to pull itself together to make this season a success.”

Head coach Tony Martinez encourages the girls to keep fighting for a win, knowing that they have the skill to get one.

“The girls just really need to start playing as a team again,” Martinez said. “If they fail to play as a team, we won’t win. They have all the skill they need to win this league, but they are letting outside issues affect what happens on the field.”

For more sports, read the Jan. 28 article, Girls soccer sport shorts: Parlier.