Band returns from Northwest; performs final concert

Through forests of evergreen trees under a canopy of rain clouds, the jazz band and concert band made their 2,000-mile journey through the Pacific Northwest from April 21-27. Over the course of seven days, the group gave three performances in Oregon and Washington and visited Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

The bands gave several performances including one at Lighthouse Christian School in Gig Harbor, Washington, where former FC vice-principal Peters now teaches. After the concert, several members including director Paul McEntee played dodge ball with the second graders.

“There were many kids at the Gig Harbor performance,” McEntee said. “The attitudes of [our band members] were great.”

Besides visiting the Space Needle and museums in Seattle, the groups also ate at Pike’s Place Fish Market in Downtown Seattle.

“I really liked the fish market and the ?fish mongers’, aka Polonius of Hamlet,” Phillip Ocheltree, ’04, said. “They were throwing fish to each other in the street and wrapping them for sale. I ate the smoked Salmon though. I hope mine wasn’t dropped on the ground though.”

Even though band spent leisure time at a museum in Portland, Oregon, and downtown Seattle, Washington, the most excitement appears to have come with hours of bus travel.

“Our leisure time was fun, especially when we played Magnetic Risk,” Benjamin Daniels, ’04, said. “Some members of the band created ?Magnetic Risk,’ a travel version of the board game Risk, specifically for this trip. We probably spent 20 hours playing Risk.”

The band’s tour reached its furthest extent with a two-day stay in Victoria, British Columbia. Although the length of the trip was quite long, it appears to have gone well.
“The trip to the Pacific Northwest was the best trip I have ever taken with Fresno Christian band,” McEntee said.

The jazz band performed the works they used on tour in concert at the Riverpark Bible Church on May 8. The performance was also recorded and CDs will be available to band members only.