Podcasting enhances media world (PODCAST)

Throughout history new inventions have taken the place of old ones, in theory making everyday life easier. Although it does not always work out this way, one invention that has helped advance life is podcasting.

Podcasting is the process of recording a voice discussing an issue or subject. It is more efficient than radio because rather than tuning it in to an entire program, the listener can select a specific discussion.

While high school education programs are beginning to utilize this technique, universities are already on board. Colleges across the country have begun to require homework assignments to be turned in as podcasts rather than traditional typed papers.

Most students in high school have not been exposed to podcasting due to its recent development. Most podcasts that are available on the Internet and other media outlets are geared towards an older demographic. Often they discuss political, moral and ethical issues rather than the pop culture news that teens are tuned into.

Yet many media outlets, including sports stations, incorporate podcasts into their agenda to make podcasting more popular. The use of podcasts is geared to become more and more common, and within the decade, will be one of the top sources of media and information.

The Feather has already began to use the technique more and more often. “Live from Callyfornia” is The Feather’s No. 1 podcast, starring junior Callista Fries. A new podcast is posted every week, and the subject matter contains a wide range of topics pertaining to teens. The medium is also becoming a requirement for other staffers and they incorporate personal stories or use podcasting as an added value to their articles.

As podcasting becomes more popular, other inventions are certain to be included to enhance media. However, podcasting and its increasingly simple addition to any media page is sure to improve the way students share information.

(PODCAST) Podcasting benefits: Feb. 20, 2014–

For more information about podcasting, read the Feb. 12, 2013 article, Anchor offers tips for podcasting.

For more features, read the Feb. 20 article, Chosen Yogurt aids misson trip, holds fundraiser.