Fall Festivus offers fellowship, camaraderie

IMG_3654r
[/media-credit] The purpose of the festivus was to add a social event for FC students during the first semester and allow students to fellowship openly in a different environment.

Seasonal Gathering draws Unity

The 2nd annual Fall Festivus took place at the Beal ranch, Nov. 25. The purpose of the festivus was to add a social event for FC students during the first semester and allow students to fellowship openly in a different environment.

With nearly 70 students attending there was a variety of activities to participate in. Various camp fires were set up for students to warm up by. There was a food bar with hot dogs, popcorn, s’mores, pie, coffee, candy and hot cocoa.

The highlight of the evening was the showing of Nacho Libre on a blow up screen and a viewing area for all those who wished to watch.

Senior Breanna Jennings enjoys the atmosphere the festivus provides the FC community.

“I liked that we all got to hang out with each other, other than being at school. I got to talk and hang out with people that I wouldn’t have if I was at school or hanging out with my friends,” Jennings said. “I didn’t go last year but I thought it was a fun and different experience. I’m glad we started this new tradition and I hope it stays around for a long time.”

I thought that it was really great way to get people together outside of school. My favorite part was just being able to sit around the fire, talking and laughing with my friends. I also really like that the festivus is during the first semester because I feel like everything goes on second semester so having a little something to amp up this year was neat.–Alyssa Oakley 

FC leadership was in charge of providing all the food, drinks, activities and supplies to make the night a success. Leadership advisor Vickey Belmont believes the class met the standard of the attending students.

“The preparations for the festivus were not stressful, I put the leadership students into groups and I think that they all followed through very well. We had everything that we needed, I think the biggest hit was the Starbucks coffee and hot chocolate,” Belmont said. “This year was different because we didn’t have line dancing. We didn’t really have any games prepared but I think from last year to this year that was a better choice because this way it was a big hangout instead of an organized setting.”

Freshmen Roman Endicott enjoyed his time at the festivus and is grateful for the memories he made at the event.

“I thought the whole experience was great and it was just really nice to be able to hang out with my friends right before the break and just have a ice kick off towards thanksgiving and end the last day on a good note,” Endicott said.

Alyssa Oakley, ’15, enjoyed the simplicity and quaintness the festivus provided. With no organized games, the festivus allowed students to do what they pleased create their own fun.

“I thought that it was really great way to get people together outside of school. My favorite part was just being able to sit around the fire, talking and laughing with my friends,” Oakley said. “I also really like that the festivus is during the first semester because I feel like everything goes on second semester so having a little something to amp up this year was neat.”

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.

For more features, read the Nov. 21 article, Jack Leonard: A vetrans perspective