Journalism matures Senior Editor

My freshmen year I decided to stay under the radar. I hardly did any extracurriculars and my elective was study hall. I just went to school, did my work and kept my head down. I guess that’s the typical behavior of a freshman, or they are extremely obnoxious but that was not the case for me.

Every day I would walk into English class, where Tynin Fries, Annalise Rosik and Emily Shakeshaft would rave about journalism class. They did talk about the struggles and stress of the class but their response was mainly positive. Their reaction to the class made me interested in joining, so my sophomore year I decided to take a risk and enroll in journalism.

That was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. I know, that sounds a little dramatic but it’s the truth. Journalism has taught me so much. I have not only enhanced my writing skills but I have learned a lot about myself.

Journalism is much more important than people give it credit for. One of the most significant parts of journalism is the ability to speak ones mind, which is guaranteed to journalists by the First Amendment. Being a part of the class gives me the chance to give my opinions and perspective on any topic I choose.

Journalism has also given me the confidence to speak to anyone and everyone. For articles, I have to get quotes to gain more opinion on the topic, and in doing so it has made me more comfortable talking to complete strangers. It helped me acquire interviewing skills as well as better people skills.

For me personally, publications contributed to the growth of some of my friendships. One example is Fries. I have been in the class with her for three years now and we hold the top positions of the paper with her as Editor-in-Chief and me as Senior Editor. Because this class requires so much work and time, Fries and I have spent the better part of our high school careers together. It has strengthened our friendship and given us a common ground where we can understand each other.

Not only has journalism strengthened the relationships I have with friends but it has given me new associations with people I would not otherwise talk to. It has been great to gain new friends but on a more professional level it has given me connections to community leaders. I have been to several events where I had the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with more distinguished individuals such as Frank Abagnale, the man of whom the popular film Catch Me If You Can is based off of.

This past week being Scholastic Journalism Week hosted by the Journalism Education Association (JEA) has been very important to me. Journalism has been a huge part of my life for the past three years, and getting a week to celebrate the work not only done by me but also by my staff is special. This week is an advocate for student journalists around the nation to promote the opportunities and freedoms we have. This time has reminded me the importance of the work I do.

Journalism set up my future. Without this class I would just be another face in the crowd of high school students. Journalism has given me the chance to set myself apart from the norm. When I started to prepare for college I was extremely nervous but I remembered that being a part of The Feather could be my way in. It was my dream to go to college in New York, and to my utter surprise I was accepted to New York University (NYU), which I completely accredit to my time spent in journalism.

I have had a great time in the past three years learning new skills and experiencing unforgettable moments. When I first entered high school I thought there was no way I would be able to handle the real world. But now I’m about to graduate with full confidence in myself and the skills I have acquired. I’m ready to enter the “adult” world and actually be an adult. Thanks to journalism, I feel like I have a future.

Below is a window featuring the hashtag #SJW2014, which The Feather has used all week to celebrate their love for journalism.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @viv_hinojosa. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more opinions, read the Feb. 20 article, College Corner: What to expect on test day.