Campus athletes honored at Grizzlies Stadium

The lights flashed towards the center of the Grizzlies Stadium, parents beamed proudly in admiration for their children’s hard work and dedication for four years of service in Fellowship of Christian Athletes [FCA].

With 8,000 people in the stands, seniors Jon Steele and Carli Albrechtson were presented athletes of the year before the Fresno Grizzlies baseball game on April 26.

About 50 athletes from all over the San Joaquin Valley were presented with plaques and a jacket for their service. Due to their commitment to sports and leadership on and off the field, athletes were honored with a dinner and awards ceremony.

“I feel privileged to have been apart of FCA over the past four years and I was honored to represent Fresno Christian at the FCA awards banquet,” Albrechtson said. “I am truly going to miss FCA and I will always remember the wonderful memories.”

Albrechtson has been involved with sports since her freshman year. She started with volleyball and basketball her freshman year as well as being involved with student leadership on campus. Albrechtson is currently the student body president on campus.

“Both Albrechtson and Steele have shown exceptional leadership skills,” Ericlee Gilmore, club supervisor, said. “They are self-motivated and dedicated to everything they do. It has been a joy to have them in FCA three years.”

Steele has been involved with sports since his freshman year. He has participated in basketball and baseball since his freshman year. This is his first year in student leadership.

“It was an honor for Gilmore to choose me,” Steele said. ” It was really neat to see all the different athletes from the Central Valley that were involved in FCA.”

For more information to join FCA for the up coming year, contact Gilmore at 297-9464, ext. 140.

Mona Yazdanpanah