Boys basketball sport shorts: Liberty (PODCAST)

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14
For a preview to the Eagles basketball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Winter Sports Box Scores, 2013-2014, for dates, times, and all winter sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 19-7 overall and 9-1 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 27. The Eagle’s next game will be Feb. 27, as they travel to play Bakersfield Christian.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2013-14
EAGLES ADVANCE IN POSTSEASON PLAY; DEFEAT LIBERTY, 63-53, Feb. 25

The Eagles hosted the Liberty (Madera-Ranchos) Hawks in a Division IV playoff game, Feb. 25. The game would be the first contest between the two teams this year, with the Hawks coming into the game with a 15-10 overall record, compared to FC’s 18-7.

The Eagles got off to a hot start, taking an early lead. However, the Hawks refused to be shut down, fighting back with a run of their own. Liberty was led through the game by their center Stetson Woods, who came into the game averaging 17 points, 15 rebounds, and 8 blocks per game.

The tight play continued, and at halftime the scoreboard showed a score of 30-30. The home crowd played a big part in producing and maintaining momentum throughout the night.

In the third quarter, FC came out strong, and regained a solid lead. They were able to fend off a few Liberty runs in the last 16 minutes, winning the game 63-53.

Senior Brian Scott led the Eagles with 30 points. He felt that the game was a big win for the program and that the team is starting to really come together.

“Big win for us, especially in a huge playoff situation,” said Scott. “It’s win or go home at this point and we have a group of guys that just aren’t ready to to turn in our uniforms yet. In my opinion every aspect of the game was amazing; the fans were great, the bench was loud, and everyone who stepped on the court played with a high level of intensity. I think I speak for the whole team when I say we love playing together, we love all our supporters, we love the game of basketball, and we aren’t ready to end our season any time soon.”

Scott added that the game against Bakersfield South will be an interesting matchup, and that he looks forward to the challenge.

“This is definitely a tough program to be matched up against,” Scott mentioned. “They haven’t lost a game in league so I can imagine they’re confident in their play. We just got to stay calm, play our game, and go 1-0 each game we play. There’s no doubt in our minds that we can play, we just have to go out there and prove it to everyone else.”

The winner of the game at Bakersfield South will move onto the Division IV semifinals.

This writer can be reached via Twitter @Grossman_Chris.

For more information, see the Feb. 25 article, Boys basketball sport shorts: Fowler (PODCAST)

(PODCAST) Eagles travel to Bakersfield for playoffs: Feb. 27, 2014–