Softball sport shorts: Immanuel

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 0-0-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 26. The Eagles will next play against Orange Cove Titans, Mar. 4.

IMMANUEL TIES FC, 10-10
FC hosted the Immanuel High Eagles in their first non-league game of the season, Feb. 26.

Neither team scored in the first inning, but in the second inning, FC was able to get one run across while holding Immanuel scoreless. The third inning produced no runs for Immanuel but four for FC, making the game 5-0 until the visiting team scored five runs in the fourth inning. The home team brought two runs across, bringing the score to 7-5.

In the fifth, Immanuel scored two runs and held the Eagles to a scoreless half-inning. Both teams brought two runs across in the sixth inning, keeping the game tied at 9-9. The home team went into the bottom of the seventh one run down after Immanuel scored in the top of the inning hoping to produce two runs and win the game. Despite the Eagles’ efforts, they were only able to produce one run in the final inning, tying the game, 10-10.

Head coach, Jeff Regan was pleased with the performance of the team, considering the amount of new players the team has received this year. Because of the overall inexperience of the team, however, there are some gaps in basic skills of the game, both physical and mental.

“For the first game, the team did well,” Regan said. “We had some nerves, but that is to be expected. We do need to improve, though, in our basic fundamentals at the plate and in the field, and also in execution of plays and at bats.”

Regan is excited for this season, but knows that success will take the team learning how to play together and those who have played before helping to coach those who are just now being introduced to the sport this year.

“Our team has great possibilities,” Regan said. “Team bonding and learning together will be a focus for this season. We need our returning players to do a lot of mentoring new players.”

Returning catcher Ashley Garcia, ’15, also noticed numerous errors that the Eagles made throughout the game. Although these mistakes were minor, they eventually added up and gave the opponent more runs than they earned.

“We need to improve on the little things, on the tiny mistakes in the field and at bat,” Garcia said. “We just need to grow in our confidence as a team and become one.”

Garcia was encouraged by the result of the Eagles’ first game, and she believes that the fight and heart displayed by the team will continue throughout the season.

“I was really surprised how well we did for our first game,” Garcia said. “I thought we did really well. I think our game showed what this season is going to look like. We fight hard, and I’m really proud of our team.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Orange Cove Titans, Mar. 4 at 4 p.m.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the Feb. 28 article, Boys basketball sport shorts: Bakersfield Christian.