FCA volunteers services in community

As student athletes in the past served food to a group of hungry people, their preconceived ideas of those they served changed. The Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) on campus group found out they were people just like those to whom they served. The group made their yearly trip to the Poverello House on October 8.

“It’s a great opportunity for high school kids,” coach Ericlee Gilmore said, “to serve for the less fortunate.” The students who participated in the FCA program last year felt that it was a great way to serve and give back to the community.

“I went to the Poverello House last year with the FCA,” Julie Fujihara, ’03, said. “It was a great experience in learning to serve and talk with the people who work there. It changed my perceptions about those in need.”

While at the Poverello House, students helped out by strapping on aprons and serving the food in an assembly line style. Other than serving food the group helped clean out refrigerators, moped and sweep the floors. Most of the members that went had never attended the Poverello House before and enjoyed giving something back to the community.

“It was a great opportunity,” John Steele, ’03, said. “For me to give back to the community. I am looking forward to participating in this event again.”

Athletes will also be participating in the annual Huddle Olympics on Nov. 3. The Huddle Olympics has been taking place for many years.

This year the event will be hosted on campus for the first time and will consist of two teams from FC and many others across the Valley. The athletes will have time to compete and talk with Christian athletes. They will be competing for a free trip to summer camp.

“This will be my first year in the Huddle Olympics is going to be so much fun,” Michelle Smith, ’04, said. “I can’t wait to meet people from different schools who are involved with FCA.”

Other than the Huddle Olympics the athletes are planning a trip to Camelot Park. Their they will get to know their piers better and have a fun time off the campus.

“I am really excited about the trip to Camelot Park,” Josh Wright, ’05, said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun to get to know everyone better and challenge my friends to a game of miniature golf.”

In addition to going to these events, the FCA has breakfasts where students can come and enjoy fellowship before school with their peers. The next FCA breakfast will be on Oct. 18 at 7 a.m. in room T-102.

“Come and fellowship with athletic friends,” coach Gilmore said, “and experience how God can work in your life. There are people who need your help. There will be free breakfast, fun games and prizes for attendance too!”

For additional information on upcoming FCA events on campus, contact Gilmore through the office. If students would like to contribute to the Fresno Poverello House, please contact Bruce Whitsitt either by telephone at (559) 498-6988 or by e-mail at [email protected].