Tennis develops twin’s brotherhood, balance

It is not often that you see siblings competing on the same field or court, however the Morrison twins, Juniors, Rick and Nick have risen to the top of the FC tennis ladder and have demonstrate brotherly support for each other during every match.

Having began tennis when they started highschool, the Morrison’s have only been playing for a few years. Nick explained how exactly they got involved in tennis.

“My mom had a lot to do with getting us involved with tennis,” Nick said. “She enrolled us in a tennis program at Sierra Sport and Racquet Club. That was during our freshman year so we are fairly new to the sport.”

Both holding positions in the top three players on the team, the Morrisons are constantly competing with eachother. Rick described what it is like having a sibling on the team to compete with.

“Having Nick on the team with me pushes me to become a better tennis player,” Rick said. “Currently Nick is the number one on the ladder, but I hope to challenge him for this spot before the season is over. Nick is a constant motivation for me to not mess around, and to work hard.”

Rick and Nick have continued to impress the coach, Robert Foshee, everyday. Foshee explained what Rick and Nick bring to the court that benefits the team.

“Rick and Nick really balance out the team,” Foshee said. “They are always full of energy and are ready to go the second they step on the court. Even though they are twins, it is not like it is the same person times two. They both contribute their own unique abilities to the team.”

While Nick competes in the singles division, Rick, along with his partner, Junior Andrew Hindes, compete in the doubles divison. Rick explained why he chose to do doubles instead of singles like his brother.

“I enjoy having Andrew on the court with me,” Rick said. “Having Andrew out there with me helps me to stay focused. We keep each other accountable for our mistakes and work to eliminate them.”

Though they are twins, they are not completely identical. Nick explained what he and his brother’s individual strengths and weaknesses are.

“Rick and I are both pretty good at different things,” Nick said. “Rick is more of an offensive player and I prefer to be more defensive. Ricks offensive abilities work well when he plays singles as well as doubles.”

While they work together and strive to make eachother better on the court, they also have a close relationship off the court. Rick explained how their relationship on the court compares to their home life.

“Tennis has helped me and my brother bond through competition,” Rick said. “Challenging each other at practice has made us more competitive. But at the same time we have come to appreciate each other more.”

The Morrisons team mates have seen their progress since their first year on the team and have been very impressed. Jordan Castro, ’15, talked about the brothers role on the team.

“Rick and Nick are both really fun guys to have on the team,” Castro said. “They have an energy about them that not a lot of people can match. At practice they are almost always focused and striving to get better. I love to watch them play and they always surprise me.”

If you would like to watch the Morrison brothers, and the rest of the FC tennis team compete, head out to Fresno City College this Friday and Saturday.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_NhojNamood @beal_trevor. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the March 5 article Orchestra aids drama department in first musical.