Softball sport shorts: Orange Cove

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 1-0-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 4. The Eagles will next play against the Immanuel High Eagles, Mar. 10.

FC DEFEATS ORANGE COVE, 8-3
FC traveled to play the Orange Cove Titans in their second non-league game of the season, March 4.

The Eagles were unable to score in the first, holding Orange Cove scoreless as well. In their second ups, FC took the lead with one run and again prevented the Titans from scoring. The third inning produced three runs for the visiting team, but Orange Cove responded with two runs, bringing the score to 4-2. During the fourth inning, the Eagles added three runs to their total score and shut out the home team’s offense, extending their lead to five runs.

Fresno Christian failed to put any runs across in their fifth at bat, and the Titans scored their third and final run for the game in the bottom of the inning. Although neither team scored in the sixth inning, FC was able to add one more run to their total, cinching the score of 8-3 and giving FC’s their first win of the season.

Assistant coach Vic Breedlove was satisfied with the Eagles’ job on defense and at the plate, but noticed that there are some gaps in the area of basic base running, offensively and defensively.

“We played sound defense behind great pitching, and put the ball in play on offense,” Breedlove said. “We do need to work on base running and on understanding game situations.”

Breedlove was impressed with the team’s improvement both in defense and at bat, minimizing even the small errors that often add up.

“There were a lot of big improvements in fielding, eliminating errors and making outs,” Breedlove said. “At bat, everyone from one hitter to the ninth spot put the ball in play and forced Orange Cove to make plays. We had much fewer strikeouts compared to game one.”

Returning shortstop Gaby Siqueiros, ’15, also recognized the team’s aggressiveness on offense. Although she did see areas in the Eagles’ game that need to be cleaned up, she was pleased with the overall focus of the team.

“I think we did really well at the plate,” Siqueiros said. “Everyone was swinging and making a lot of contact. I think defensively we could definitely improve, however, we kept our heads in it the whole game.”

Siqueiros is encouraged by the progress that the team is making, and expects the improvements to continue with every game played.

“Base running was much better in the second game and our mentality was much better with one game out of the way,” Siqueiros said. “I hope to see even more assertiveness and mental preparation from everyone. These past two games are quite the confidence booster and it looks like it’s going to be a pretty good season.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Immanuel High Eagles at 3:30 p.m., March 10.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the Mar. 3 article, Softball sport shorts: Immanuel.