Softball sport shorts: Immanuel

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 1-1-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 10. The Eagles will next play against the Avenal Buccaneers, Mar. 22.

FC FALLS TO IMMANUEL, 7-2
FC traveled to play the Immanuel Eagles in their third non-league game of the season, March 10.

In the first inning, FC put one run across in the first inning, but then allowed Immanuel to score two runs in their ups. Both the second and third innings produced no runs for FC and another two scores for the home team, bringing the score to 6-1, Immanuel.

Although the fourth inning yielded no runs for either team, both sides managed to score one run in their fifth at bats. FC did not score in the sixth inning and managed to hold the home team scoreless as well. As the visiting team was unable to put any more runs on the board during their final ups, the game was called after the top of the seventh inning, and Immanuel clinched their first victory of the season, 7-2, giving FC its first loss.

Assistant coach Matt Weimer was pleased with the job done by FC’s pitcher, even in the midst of the total nine errors committed throughout the game by the defense. He believes that in order to win games, the defense must remain tight to secure the runs the offense scores.

“Our pitcher threw a very good game and kept her composure even when we made mistakes,” Weimer said. “The biggest weakness Immanuel exposed in our team was our need to execute defensively. We must catch and throw to win softball games.”

Although the game against Immanuel was rough, Weimer remains hopeful for improvement, both individually and as a team.

“This season, I am hoping that each of our girls grows as a player and conquers the fear that preys on their minds,” Weimer said. “I also hope that they grow as GOD’S children, understanding that His grace flows out onto the field, even over the white foul lines.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Avenal Buccaneers at 11 a.m.., March 22.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the Mar. 12 article, Softball sport shorts: Orange Cove.