Former English teacher settles on new campus

Teachers can be one of the most memorable parts of high school. They invest time into to the students, not only to increase their knowledge through education, but to become their mentor and role model, by helping high school students with the difficult circumstances they may find themselves in.

Molly Sargent was a teacher who wanted the best for her students and for the school. The legacy she left behind at FC will not be forgotten by many.

Sargent worked at the school for 20 years, which over the course of that time she taught most English classes for upperclassmen, and various Bible classes. She was also advisor for California Scholarship Federation (CSF) and yearbook.

Sargent currently works at Kerman High School, teaching English to sophomores and juniors. The diversity and the number of students at her new school differs in many ways.

“I have about 200 students in two different subjects,” Sargent said. “My last year at FC I taught about 130 students in six different subjects. My classes range in size from 30-36 students. Kerman high school has about 1,300 students. The district administers seven different campuses.”

Although making such a transition can be difficult at times, Sargent has secured herself a spot in Kerman and is enjoying her new position.

“I have really enjoyed my English department colleagues; they have been very welcoming, warm, and helpful as I adjust to a different school system,” Sargent said. “They have helped me in everything from using PC’s instead of Mac’s to where to get extra Kleenex boxes for my room.”

At her new position, Sargent has made friendships with colleagues surrounding her. To her surprise, Sargent found that one of her former students has begun to work alongside her.

“One of the coolest aspects has been teaching in the same department as one of my ex-students from FC, Amanda Valle, Nee Gonzales, who is married and has two beautiful girls,” Sargent said. “It’s fun teaching alongside her, sharing memories from when she was in my class and observing what an excellent teacher and campus leader she is. She likes telling her students that I was her English teacher in high school and I am so proud of having been her teacher.”

Sargent has enjoyed every moment she has spent teaching. She admires watching the academic growth the students go through as well as the pride they begin to take in their own work.

“One of my favorite aspects of teaching is witnessing a student’s academic growth,” Sargent said. “Sharing with them their moments of pride in their work and what they can accomplish. I have had the privilege of being a part of many of those moments at Kerman since I began in August.”

Transitioning from Fresno to Kerman, can be difficult, but Sargent has found herself in a warming community. Sargent is pleased with her new school, and is very thankful to have the opportunity to pour into the lives of young adults.

“I am getting to know the community better each week. I grew up in a small town so I feel very comfortable in Kerman,” Sargent said. “High school kids everywhere, at least in the ones I have taught in California, can be so interesting, exhausting, energetic, full of surprises, and just plain fun. I am so thankful to God that He has allowed me to be a part of their lives. I am honored to teach my students at Kerman and hopefully be a positive influence on them both in the present and into their future lives.”

Sargent sends many prayers and wishes the best to all of her former students and colleagues at FC.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @ivettedibarra. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the March 18 article, Auction attendance, gross funds breaks previous records.