Auction attendance, gross funds breaks previous records

Fresno Christian Schools has many traditions, some encompassing the student body and others more focused towards parents and members of the community. One of FC’s biggest events of the year is the annual auction, where people from across Fresno, with and without ties to the school, attend the event and help to support FC through charity, March 15.

This year’s auction was different than any other for multiple reasons, a large part of this is the fact that Superintendent Debbie Siebert will be retiring after this school year. Siebert has been the superintendent of FC seven years; her service and support of the school has been tremendous and many people were drawn to this year’s auction to recognize her achievements.

The attendance this year was larger than recent auctions, according to Principal Todd Bennett, helping the campus in reaching their goal of $100k.

“This year’s attendance was the largest since I have been working here,” Bennett said. “I’m very appreciative of everyone that attended this year and supported our school. Our goal was 100 thousand this year, and we reached it.”

Many people contributed to this year’s success, including students. Students are able to volunteer to help with tasks during the auction such as Kylie Bell, ’16, who aided with raffle ticket sales.

“It was a lot of fun,” Bell said. “All the people who attended tonight were very nice. And they spent a lot of money on raffle tickets as well. All the money goes back to funding the school’s necessities, so I was glad to help out.”

Siebert and the auction committee dedicate many efforts to put on this year’s auction.

“It is a lot of fun working together with everyone as we each use our personal talents to make the evening as special as possible,” Siebert said. “I am so grateful for the grandparents, parents, students and friends of FC who worked together in the final days. I am always amazed at how the spirit of cooperation makes, what could be an overwhelming task such a pleasure.”

One member of the FC body that was rewarded at the auction was Ross Laird, father of Tyler Laird, ?14.. Laird has been attending the auction for 13 years; he is notorious for winning the annual raffle during the auction, including this year’s.

“I use to win the raffles all the time,” Laird said. “But I have been on a 10-year losing streak. It was fun to win again. Especially since I bought the most tickets this year.”

The FC community came together and raised over $108,000 dollars at this year’s event. The goal was 100k and it was surpassed by over $8,000.

This being Siebert?s final school year as Superintendent and last auction in an administration position, this year’s event meant more to her than just a fundraiser.

“The auction is one of the best opportunities for the entire FC family to come together and truly function as the body of Christ,” Siebert said. “For anyone observing from the outside wondering what is meant by being a member of Christ?s body, the auction is a great symbol.”

This author can be reached via Twitter: @beal_trevor. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more features, read the March 14 article, Fries chosen as Seymour finalist, anticipates interview process.