Softball sport shorts: Sierra

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores: 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 girls’ softball schedule, home page or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 3-2-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 22. The Eagles will next play against the Alpaugh Buffaloes, Mar. 26.

SIERRA DEFEATS FC, 5-3
FC hosted the Sierra High Chieftans in their fourth non-league game of the season, March 12.

The Eagles held the Chieftans scoreless in the first inning, but failed to produce any runs in their at bats. The second inning remained scoreless for Sierra, and FC was able to put one run across. After once again preventing the visiting team from scoring, the home team put one more point on the board, bringing the Eagles in the lead, 2-0.

Sierra produced a one-run lead in their fourth ups, scoring three runs, and then allowing FC to score only one run. The fifth inning yielded no runs for either team, although in the top of the sixth inning, the Chieftans added two runs to their score, which would be the last scores of the game. With the bottom of the sixth and the seventh innings remaining scoreless, Sierra claimed the victory, giving FC its second loss of the season and making their record 1-2-1.

Assistant Coach Dave Jennings noticed many little things that, if the Eagles had executed correctly, may have yielded different results at the end of the game.

“For the outfield, the girls need to keep the ball in front of them, rather than letting it over their heads, even if that means playing back and then moving forward,” Jennings said. “Also, if we can cut down on runners on base by our pitcher walking less batters, that can help us on runs at the end of the game. With our defense, if there are runners on the bags, we’re potentially going to give up some runs because our defense really isn’t the strongest.”

Jennings was pleased that the girls were able to score a few runs, even against the strongest pitcher the Eagles have seen all season. However, he knows that in order to win games this year, FC must score more than three runs, especially since their defense is not so strong.

“She was a good pitcher, and you’re going to have more strikeouts in those kinds of games, but we’ve got to put the ball in play,” Jennings said. “Even though she was a good pitcher, though, I was impressed that we were able to put people in scoring position. We were doing whatever we could to get on base. We didn’t always get on, but we were trying, with bunts for hits.”

Based on the errors occurring this game that eventually added up to a loss, Jennings hopes that the Eagles will make the necessary mental adjustments in order to emerge victorious in the coming games.

“I would like to see our infielders make good strong throws to whatever bag they’re going to for an out,” Jennings said. “We still need to work on making sure we have our signs. We’re a young outfield, so we’ve just got to make sure to keep the ball in front of us.”

The Eagles will next travel to play the Alpaugh Buffaloes at 3:30 p.m., March 26.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennaWeimer42. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more information, read the Mar. 20 article, Softball sport shorts: Immanuel.